cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light sensor not working

andreaemonti
Star II
Hi everybody,
the light sensor of my Zenfone 8 is not working.
I noticed it because when I have adaptive brigthness ON, as soon as I lock and unlock the device, the screen gets very dim (the slider is still up, and as soon as I move it, the brightness kicks up again).
Later I tried some apps that let you read your sensors measurements. I saw that every app can read every sensor, but the light sensor, which does not give any value at all (some app shows 0 or -1, because I guess that's how the variable is initialized in the app).
Is it a hardware problem? Is it common for just the light sensor to break?
Can it be a kernel/driver/firmware/software problem? I noticed this issue after a few weeks I updated to Android 12 in July (waited long because I was not sure about the big android 12 UI...) and subsequently did all the following updates. Is there any way to detect if the problem is software with something lower level than app, like adb, and maybe solve it without sending the phone to warranty?
Thank you!
9 REPLIES 9

andreaemonti
Star II
Thank you everyone. I was already preparing for the factory reset, but then tried to restart the phone, and the sensor is now working again.
I'm sorry, I feel so dumb. I thought I've already tried shutting off and on, but apparently not. Let's see if the issue comes back or not.
Thank you for the support!

DiegoMr
Star I
I have the same problem, but i can't make a factory reset bc of all the the 2FA i have installed

atanasuzunov
Star III
For me this issue triggers when watching full-screen video (EON TV) in landscape position and answer a call. Only restart fixes it.
ASUS told me that they cannot reproduce it.

Timo_Vos
Rising Star I
I'm having similar issues. First time reboot did not solve. Second time reboot did. Annoying.
Unfortunately, after a while, the light sensor stops working.

ASUS_Bot
Rising Star II
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.