This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Bug Report] Swipe-up Gesture Navigation breaks Accessibility-based Navigation Apps

Lambaste
Rising Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZS630KL
Firmware Version: WW_18.0610.2011.107
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Constant
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Edge Gestures 1.9.4, Fluid Navigation Gestures 2.0-beta11
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
In the current stable Android 11 update, enabling Asus' custom implementation of swipe-up gesture navigation breaks 3rd party gesture navigation apps that implement edge swiping. When the built-in swipe-up navigation is turned on, swipes made to the left and right screen edges fail to consistently trigger/fire the 3rd party app.
This can be reproduced by very quickly and consecutively swiping either screen edge after setting up an action. The first few swipes will be correctly recognized by the app, but later ones will not. Slow and deliberate swipes seem to have a better chance, but neither fires consistently.
The touch event by itself is recognized by the OS - Enabling pointer location/taps in Developer options confirm this. It just seems like the event is simply not propagating to the app from surfaceflinger. If I were to guess, it seems to indicate that some setting that was intended for the bottom edge (swipe sensitivity, threshold, etc) gets applied to all four screen edges. Another potential reason could be some kind of rate-limiting applied to the number of touch/swipe events.
Regardless of the reason, it's a clear regression as this issue was present in neither Android 9 nor 10. And as mentioned earlier, it is specific to Asus' swipe-up gesture implementation - None of the other system navigation modes have this issue.
I'd greatly appreciate it this could be fixed in the next update. @Anders_ASUS
7 REPLIES 7

_jis_
Zen Master III
Why are you combining Fluid Navigation Gestures with Asus Gesture Navigation?

Lambaste
Rising Star I
_jis_

Why are you combining Fluid Navigation Gestures with Asus Gesture Navigation?

View post
Why not? They aren't mutually exclusive (at least with respect the left and right screen edges).
My ideal setup is a hidden navigation bar + Edge gestures. The built-in swipe up gestures serves to enable the former aspect.

_jis_
Zen Master III
My ideal setup is a hidden navigation bar + Edge gestures
After all, this will give you FNG on its own without the need for system gestures.
That's why I was surprised by your idea.

_jis_
Zen Master III
I'm sorry, I don't have Android 11 yet, and I didn't know it removed the ability to hide the Navigation Bar. So Google crippled all third-party gesture apps like FNG.
That's almost a deal-breaker for me.