This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenbook Pro 14 UX480. Viewing video in screen pad causes a lot more GPU usage, causing fan noise

roshansharma3
Star I

System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zenbook Pro 14 UX480
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: no?
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:When I view a video in the screen pad, the GPU usage goes up by a lot. Enough to make the fan audible. If I view that same video in the main display, or an external monitor, there is no issue. I've also tried playing a video on a 2019 Zenbook 14 or 15's Screenpad 2.0. There was no issue there either.
This is what task manager looks like if I'm playing a video on an external display, with the screen pad in extension display mode.
sp-on-vid-external-display-png.png

This is what task manager looks like if I'm playing a video on the screen pad display, with the screen pad in extension display mode.
sp-on-vid-sp-display-png.png
Both the external monitor and screen pad were set to 1920x1080 resolution
10 REPLIES 10

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
roshansharma3
  1. System: Windows 10
  2. Battery or AC: AC
  3. Model: Zenbook Pro 14 UX480
  4. Frequency of occurrence: Always
  5. Reset OS: no?
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:When I view a video in the screen pad, the GPU usage goes up by a lot. Enough to make the fan audible. If I view that same video in the main display, or an external monitor, there is no issue. I've also tried playing a video on a 2019 Zenbook 14 or 15's Screenpad 2.0. There was no issue there either.

This is what task manager looks like if I'm playing a video on an external display, with the screen pad in extension display mode.

sp-on-vid-external-display-png.png

This is what task manager looks like if I'm playing a video on the screen pad display, with the screen pad in extension display mode.

sp-on-vid-sp-display-png.png

Both the external monitor and screen pad were set to 1920x1080 resolution

Zenbook Pro 14 UX480. Viewing video in screen pad causes a lot more GPU usage, causing fan noise
I don't have your laptop, but I think asus released new firmware for screenpad display.

mihai_alpha
Star I
This happens for me as well for the zenbook ux434flc with screenpad

roshansharma3
Star I
RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/33126/zenbook-pro-14-ux480-viewing-video-in-screen-pad-causes...

I don't have your laptop, but I think asus released new firmware for screenpad display.

View post
Are you referring to upgrading to screenpad 2.0?

roshansharma3
Star I
mihai.alpha

This happens for me as well for the zenbook ux434flc with screenpad

View post
I guess I must have tried it on the 15" zenbook then (I couldn't remember if it was 14 or 15). It was a display unit at store. Thanks for the reply.