This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange behavior of my laptop apparently related to low power states

PabloMurillo
Star I

My laptop has been exhibiting a very annoying behavior ever since I acquired it: whenever I leave it exporting photos, videos, or running some process, as soon as the screen turns off, its performance drops drastically to the point that sometimes I come back and the tasks are entirely stopped or have made very little progress. The strange thing is that when I move the mouse and the screen turns back on, it resumes executing the task normally.

I must clarify that I always set the screen to turn off quickly, especially being this an OLED, but in general, I do not establish any power-saving settings; on the contrary, I always keep it on high performance.

I have tried configuring the power plan in many ways, even setting the minimum CPU usage to 90% (although I don't think this should be the only solution), but nothing has worked.

My computer is an Asus Zenbook Pro Duo OLED UX582, Intel I9 processor, 32GB RAM, GeForce RXT3070, and 1TB SSD. I think there is no reason for this behavior.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

PabloMurillo
Star I

I'm not sure you're understanding. Of course, I have the computer set to never sleep, only the screen is set to go off after 5 minutes to avoid any damage. Here are screenshots of my settings:

PabloMurillo_0-1679642195760.png

PabloMurillo_1-1679642258083.png

The screen should operate independently of the computer itself. When the screen turns off, the performance should remain the same because my settings specify that it never sleeps while connected (clearly, I have tested this with the laptop connected to power). However, it still seems to be sleeping; it's as if there is some factory setting that is overriding mine.

If this is not the case and I must keep the monitor on, this would be the first computer that is unable to maintain processing with the monitor turned off, and believe me, I have had many since the 90s that have never had this issue. This would kill the OLED.

It should not happen that performance drops and processes pause when the monitor is turned off. This is abnormal.

@PabloMurillo 
Since you are converting files, this is an heavy loaded operation for the system.
When the screen is turned off, the system goes into standby, and the operations that are heavy loaded will be suspended.
For relevant information, please refer to the following.
What is Modern Standby 
For the screen protection ,It is recommended that you enable the ASUS OLED Care function to protect the screen.
ASUS OLED Care 
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused. 

ZenBot
Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread automatically closed due to inactivity. If the reported issue has not been resolved or you require further assistance from one of our moderators, please create a new thread and we will be with you shortly.