This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop does not wake from sleep / frozen black screen - w/ Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver

ch2day
Star II
System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: Both
Model: Zenbook UX430UAR
Frequency of occurrence: 50-60% of time when computer sleeps
Reset OS: Yes, many times
Screenshot or video: N/A
========================
Detailed description:
On Windows 10, I'm getting a black screen when trying to wake the computer from sleep or o just waking the display (if computer sleep is disabled).
The computer freezes completely and the only way to get it back is to power it down and back up. Occasionally (rarely), the keyboard will be lit solid or blinking in this frozen state. Also, the power led blinks .
If I leave the computer frozen for a long time it heats up considerably, especially if plugged in.
This is a work computer so no games and no overclocking. BIOS settings are defaults (BIOS has been updated to the latest patch, 308) .
Computer has been cleanly reinstalled a number of times and is currently on Windows 10 2004 with the latest patches.

Troubleshooting actions tried:

BIOS update to 308 (latest available)
Disabling all possible devices one-by-one in Device Manager (Wifi, BT, card reader, fingerprint reader, display audio, system devices, etc.)
Tweaking power options such as disabling sleep, hibernation.
Tested RAM and SSD OK - even tried a different SSD at one point.
Installing driver versions downloaded from ASUS website (chipset, graphics and others) for this computer (VGA labelled Coffee Lake) and for a very similar model UX430UA (VGA labelled Kaby Lake).
Trying different versions of Intel Graphics driver (UHD Graphics 620) from Intel website, ranging from version 21 to the latest available.
I've wiped and re-installed Windows clean already 6 or 7 times, to different versions, but the issue happens starts happening after the Intel driver is installed by Windows update.
BIOS was reset to defaults.
The only way I've found around the problem is to disable or uninstall the Intel driver, but that leaves me without brightness control, etc.
Please help!
Thank you in advance.
21 REPLIES 21

d_sapezinskas
Star I
I have the same issue. However, I cannot seem to be able to predict when it happens. Sometimes it wakes up, sometimes it doesn't and I have to do a hard reboot.

steve_baird50
Star II
Hi Halis,
I have the IDENTICAL problem, to a tee, you are not alone!
Seems like something ASUStek should help us with.
S

Halis_Mert
Star II
we are waiting!!!
What answer will come from Asus to this serious problem.

steve_baird50
Star II
I have found a solution that has been working for the last 2 days.
In the bios settings I turned OFF wake when lid opens (or something like that)
Perhaps a conflict between who is responsible for waking BIOS or OS? Not sure but works so far.