This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black crush STILL is a huge problem!

HexHyte
Rising Star I
So yeah, the Rog Phone 3 still has the infamous Black Crush issue in June 2022 and it is VERY noticeable, especially when using the camera or whenever watching a dark image or video, the OLED screen feels so washed out in general actually.
If i understand right the only fix for the moment is to have the @Danishblunt kernel but i guess he cannot provide for the whole community of course, so i am wondering are the devs even thinking about resolving this issue for everyone or what?
I feel a little mocked by Asus devs, one independent user managed to create a good fix but a whole company didn't... i think it is time to act
7 REPLIES 7

anmolkakkar0309
Star III
@HexHyte I know this has been a pain for majority of ROG Phone 3 Users, but I had shared another temp fix to this problem that would be a lil easier than changing kernels (that's also is a great fix though!). At this point in time, it feels ASUS is not going to acknowledge the poor quality displays they put in these phones and are just hiding and avoiding to fix it.
anmolkakkar0309

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: -Returned-
  2. Firmware Version: -latest Indian firmware-
  3. Rooted or not: NOT
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: FREQUENT
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Color Calibrator

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

If you are reading this (after a 100 other threads about this), you are probably extremely frustrated with the heavy black crush issue of this phone in Youtube/Netflix videos which still hasn't been completely fixed by ASUS. Although ASUS should permanently fix this but here is a temporary fix that seems to work well and should not bother after a while (although no excuse for ASUS to not fix this!!).

Download the "Color Calibrator" app from Google Play Store and fix the settings for the gamma overlay as below (seems just about right after testing this 100+ times at different brightness level with different 4K and 4K HDR videos).

screenshot-20210317-050604.png

Pros: Black crush is no more visible (atleast 99.5% of the time it is not!).

Cons: Display colors (may) seem washed out for a while (just like when you would tweak colors from the Splendid app, you just need some time for your eyes to adjust). You'll surely get adjusted to this in no time since it fixes the problem for good!

PS: Kindly don't accuse/blame me for anything. If it doesn't work for you/if you don't like it, simply don't use it and uninstall. I don't have this phone with me anymore (returned due to other display issues) but sharing this with the community hoping it serves good for someone out there. 🙂 Please do respond if it worked for you or not. You may still have to tweak the gamma slider a bit here-n-there to suit your needs.

Black Crush - Temp Fix - Works well
I don't have the phone anymore but just wanted to share if you think this helps your case. Feel free to try and let me know.

HexHyte
Rising Star I
anmolkakkar0309

@HexHyte I know this has been a pain for majority of ROG Phone 3 Users, but I had shared another temp fix to this problem that would be a lil easier than changing kernels (that's also is a great fix though!). At this point in time, it feels ASUS is not going to acknowledge the poor quality displays they put in these phones and are just hiding and avoiding to fix it.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/45860/black-crush-temp-fix-works-well

I don't have the phone anymore but just wanted to share if you think this helps your case. Feel free to try and let me know.

View post
Thank you very much for this temporary solution, with this app we are basically limiting the black level to an higher point which actually removes the visible black crush but at the same time we are transforming the OLED screen in a cheap washed out LCD display.
I can now watch videos and images with grey colors instead of the blacks but hey, at least black crush is not visible... which is something... i guess...
This is unacceptable, i spent my money on a phone that supposed to have a working AMOLED display as Asus itself stated, i feel so disgusted by this.

AMANVerma
Rising Star II
HexHyte

So yeah, the Rog Phone 3 still has the infamous Black Crush issue in June 2022 and it is VERY noticeable, especially when using the camera or whenever watching a dark image or video, the OLED screen feels so washed out in general actually.

If i understand right the only fix for the moment is to have the @Danishblunt kernel but i guess he cannot provide for the whole community of course, so i am wondering are the devs even thinking about resolving this issue for everyone or what?

I feel a little mocked by Asus devs, one independent user managed to create a good fix but a whole company didn't... i think it is time to act

Black crush STILL is a huge problem!
They don't care about it simply .... Shift to another brand

Pervage
Rising Star II
AMANVerma

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/61646/black-crush-still-is-a-huge-problem

They don't care about it simply .... Shift to another brand

View post
If asus is going to refund the amount of my phone...i would have surely moved to another brand. But its our problem that we have already spent a lot of amount on this phone. Only thing is wait for miracle when Asus decide to fix it for good. @Admin Please have a look on asap.