This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just going to say it - loss of headphone jack sucks

long_gregg
Star I
I'm just going to say it even though there is nothing I can do about it. The loss of the headphone jack is a tremendous disappointment to me. This phone was tailor made for it. It has a big screen and a huge battery which makes it a prefect media consumption device. I don't game at all and I love this phone. Even MKBHD gave it a very favorable rating last year for this reason alone. I would often sit at my desk with my comfortable headphones on watching YouTube and Netflix on slow days on the ROG2. No worrying about charging bluetooth earbuds and nothing jammed in my ear canal which invariably hurts after a while. And if you are actually a gamer I can't but imagine that a wired headphone and mic would be very much a preferred option. Really believe this was a big mistake. I can't see any reason to have done this with a phone that has plenty of room to keep the jack.
38 REPLIES 38

Cenimm
Rising Star I
Jandroid

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/98505#Comment_98505

Not the same. What if you're on the bus or walking in the street and just want to listen to music while keeping your phone in your pocket? That is unnecessary bulk being added while being no better than a dongle. It's also kinda dumb to have fans running in your pocket when you're simply walking in the streets listening to music.

To the defense of ASUS however, the lack of headphone jack is a bit expected because the Snapdragon 865 doesn't have an integrated modem and requires a dedicated one which takes up more space on the phone. While this is disappointing it would be inexcusable for their next phone to lack the 3.5mm headphone jack since the next Snapdragon SoC is expected to have an integrated modem again.

Speaking of the AeroActive Cooler, I wouldn't mind if the ROG Phone lacked the headphone jack if the AeroActive Cooler features a good 3.5mm headphone amp while allowing me to turn off the fans. This would excuse the added bulk and worth carrying around for a walk.

View post
I know it will not be the same but u say use it on your desk and then it's no problem but on the run its not working.
But they have USB c to aux in the box what I can see so.

Abhinav
Zen Master I
Anders_ASUS

We really did want to keep the headphone jack. It was not an easy decision to remove it but it was necessary in order to fit everything else. It might seem like a small component in such a big phone but when there's no space, then there's no space and we needed everything else.

View post
One Problem is there and that is We Can't use Type C to 3.5mm Converter + Charging The Phone + AirTriggers 3 at the same time.
Everytime if we need to use 3.5mm Earphones we need to use AeroActive Cooler in order to charge and use Earphones simultaneously with AirTriggers.
Actually the charging port should have to be on down right side (not on down left side). ROG 2 had headphone jack so it had no issues but ROG 3. (*_*)

Cenimm
Rising Star I

Abhinav

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/98650#Comment_98650

One Problem is there and that is We Can't use Type C to 3.5mm Converter + Charging The Phone + AirTriggers 3 at the same time.

Everytime if we need to use 3.5mm Earphones we need to use AeroActive Cooler in order to charge and use Earphones simultaneously with AirTriggers.

Actually the charging port should have to be on down right side (not on down left side). ROG 2 had headphone jack so it had no issues but ROG 3. (*_*)

View post
Update **
I don't know if you will be able to have aux adapter and charger on the left side of the phone on the same time on rog phone 3, what I can found out it's not possible on rog 2.. So I think it will be hard to use aux and charge at the same time. But if you anyway stay home or where you going to charge and play at the same time I can't see why not use have aircooler if you anyway going to be on one spot?
And if you absolut can't use aircooler u can use charge or accesory port on the side and use the normal charge port to be able to use it without but it will not be nice to hold the phone and play that way.

gonzaaa_92
Rising Star II
The loss of jack, no matter the excuse, is a boomer. There where 3 things that made the ROG 2 special:
1) The battery.
2) The performance and hardware.
3) A truly complete phone.
Because the jack is missing, it's no longer a "truly complete" phone. It's now become a member of the group of "Phones that abandoned the jack port". For a gaming phone, that was really a step back.

Not applicable
Anders_ASUS

We really did want to keep the headphone jack. It was not an easy decision to remove it but it was necessary in order to fit everything else. It might seem like a small component in such a big phone but when there's no space, then there's no space and we needed everything else.

View post
Red magic 5g seem to have fit everything just fine (except side ctype ports)