This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone Live L1 Unlock Bootloader again

Radu
Star I
A bit of backstory: I have a Zenfone Live L1, which I unlocked using the Unlock Device Tool quite a while back, and now I wanted to update it to the latest Android 10 OS. I managed to do it using Recovery and an external SD Card, after trying to get a FOTA notification for the .zip file in the internal storage. I thought maybe FOTA didn't allow me to install the update offline, so I booted the phone in Fastboot (Vol Up + Power) and ran 'fastboot oem lock', which deleted the user data and settings and locked the bootloader. I shouldn't have done that, as it probably wasn't required for the Recovery update. Now I have installed Android 10 (official from ASUS) and I want to root it, so I need to unlock the bootloader.
Here we get to the issue: I unlocked the bootloader and locked it, and now I need to unlock it again. The Unlock Device Tool loads for a few seconds, then displays a message about a PIN password not being set and I tried to continue but after rebooting I see that it did not do anything, but I got no error message. The boot procedure and time was exactly the same as if I did a normal restart. I set a PIN, made sure it was required to boot the phone and decrypt it and tried again, still the PIN password not being set message and no unlock after reboot. What should I do?
Here are the phone details:
Model Name: Zenfone Live L1/ASUS_X00RD/ZA550KL
Firmware Version: Android 10 QKQ1.191002.002.WW_Phone-17.07.2003.405-202003 30
Rooted or not: NO
Frequency of Occurrence: All the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Unlock Device Tool, version 9.1.0.11_190708
If any ASUS representative needs info like SN or IMEI I will provide them, as I'm not sure if I should post them publically.
Hoping someone can help me solve this issue, as I don't care about warranty or losing services, like FOTA (which I probably lost) bank or streaming apps, because I'm not using it as my main device.
Edit: Also nowhere in the EULA or info for this app it states that I cannot unlock the bootloader more than once, or that I cannot lock it again. It states that I will not be able to restore the device to the original locked state, as it's IMEI is recorded in some database.
13 REPLIES 13

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi Radu 
Thank you for your asking. I will check on your SN and IMEI to see if there is anything I can do. Due to further processes involving personal information(SN), please check your inbox and reply to the PM.

Radu
Star I
Hello,
I managed to fix the issue by doing the following:
I booted the phone into 'Fastboot Mode' with Vol Up + Power, then executed 'fastboot.exe oem device-info' in cmd and I saw that 'Device critically unlocked' was unlocked, so I locked it using fastboot, then the device did a factory reset. Then I ran the Asus Unlock Tool and the bootloader unlocked, although the device did not do a factory reset.
Thanks for replying though.

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Great! Thank you for sharing the tips. 😉

tny199916
Star II
I'm facing the same issue . I unlocked my phone once a year ago and now I'm trying to do it again but I'm getting the network error
Please help I want to root my phone