This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mic gives low sound during calls

fakhrulsojib
Star I
Phone model: ASUS_X01BDA (Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2)
Build number: PKQ1.WW_Phone-16.2017.2005.092-20200518
NOT ROOTED
Issue frequency : always after Pie upgrade maybe. Not sure though. But having issue for the last 4 to 6 months for sure.
Apps mentioned in post body.
screenshot-20200703-000719.png

Please someone give any type of solution in details. The on call mic volume killing me. I have to put the earphone mic fully on my lip for the other person to hear me!

I used app from play store to check and I guessed it right, while mic mode was on 'Direct' and I recorded from usual earohone mic distance, then the sound was, loud and clear. But when I recorded in the same condition in the mode 'Communication', then I barely can hear me. Now after this test, I am sure the problem is in the feature 'microphone noice cancellation' for calls only. So as I identified the issue, is it impossible to fix? Can I totally disable the function 'noice cancellation' on my device? Please help. I am in desperate need of a fix during this covid pandemic as many many important meetings are happening online.

Mic is loud enough on the general phone call app though!!!
But very low on any online call like messenger call / whatsapp call / discord call / google meet call / zoom call. But if I record on messenger or whatsapp, it sounds alright. I repeat, recorded general sound is OKAY but not when on call on any app other than general phone call app. Tested same earphone on same apps from an old samsung phone too. No problem found there at all! Sounded clear while using samsung during messenger call / whatsapp call / discord call / google meet call / zoom call. So don’t say it's mic's fault. It isn’t. It is software handling problem as far as I can understand. Please show me a way fast.
3 REPLIES 3

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi fakhrulsojib
Thank you for your asking. I tested Messenger/WhatsApp Call with phone mic and earphones mic in the same version, yet I didn't encounter the same situation. Kindly try some stay-at-home troubleshooting tips below:
1. Please try to enter "Safe Mode". If the Messenger works well in Safe Mode yet the issue remains out of Safe Mode, please check on any disturbance from the installed 3rd party apps.
# How to enter and exit "Safe Mode"
[Phone/Pad] How to Enter and Exit Safe Mode? | Official Support | ASUS Global2. Also, please try "the Factory Reset" 
Settings>System>Advanced>Reset options>Erase all data(factory reset)
Please note that once the Factory Reset is completed, all data, apps, settings and personal information will be deleted.

clinta16
Star I
Same case here. Mic volume is very low when using Messenger call, but it's okay when using the native phone call app. It's frustrating.

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi clinta16
Thank you for your asking. Kindly provide the information below so that we can better assist you.
1. Your current firmware version
Settings>System>About Phone>Build Number
If you try to update to the latest version, does the issue still persist?
2. What is your Messenger version? Please update to the latest version.
3. Does the issue appear after any system/apps' download or update?
4. Please try to enter "Safe Mode". If the function works well in Safe Mode yet the issue remains out of Safe Mode, please check on any disturbance from the installed 3rd party apps.
# How to enter and exit "Safe Mode"
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1005163/
5. Also, please try "the Factory Reset" 
Settings>System>Advanced>Reset options>Erase all data(factory reset)
Please note that once the Factory Reset is completed, all data, apps, settings and personal information will be deleted.