Star I
System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zenbook Pro Duo UX581GV-XB94T
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No
Screenshot or video: N\A
========================
Detailed description:I cannot get my Valve Index VR headset to connect to this laptop with the Cable Matters USB C to DisplayPort adapter, and the Valve Index will not work with HDMI.
Does the Thunderbolt 3 port connect to the RTX 2060, or the Intel UHD 630 graphics?
I'm curious if anyone has used the Valve Index with the Zenbook Pro Duo
26 REPLIES 26

TimsonC200
Star I
I just forward a message which I got from CableMatters support and after a lot of research I agree:
"To connect a computer to the Oculus Rift S, the video port needs to be wired to the discrete graphics card. On most computers, USB C / Thunderbolt 3 ports are wired to the integrated graphics card, making them incompatible with the Oculus Rift S. The only way to connect to a VR headset using your ASUS UX581 i9 9980hk will be through the HDMI port.
Unfortunately, we don’t offer or know of any HDMI to DisplayPort adapters that are compatible with the Oculus Rift S. So there is currently no way to use your ASUS with your VR headset.
To use your laptop with a VR headset, you would need to get a headset that has an HDMI connection instead of DisplayPort (ie the original Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, etc…)."
Some laptops are able to switch the direct port, but it seems that the Zenbook can not or atleast asus has no switch implemented for it and yes one of my reasons to pay so much for a laptop was VR....

deckard
Star II
Xaryi, unfortunately you need to speak techspeak, which needs a little translation, so here goes.

Blake has reported it to the proper department (as he should, so tick)
The proper department considered the report (so tick again), but don't have an answer (another tick).
They asked if an answer was promised, which came back, oh Christ no, and the reply was well, we're in the clear then (tick jackpot).

But rest assured, a fix is incoming, almost guaranteed.
In about another years time, there'll be a lot more laptops and headsets with this problem.
So coming 'soon™' aka 'whenitsready™', probably late 2023-2026, the HDMI will be phased out for a displayport as standard on all new laptops.
By which time of course, headsets will require displayport2 interfaces, and we'll start all over again.

Xaryi and Timson, VR ready in this case explicitly means that this laptop was tested rigourously with an Oculus Rift CV1, and it more than excelled at that task, never droppping below maximun fps on any, any of the titles tested.
As it does work with VR, they have no need, nor requirement to change their advertising messages, now or in the future (mega tick jackpot).
I would see myself out, but I've a feeling somebody will actually do this for me. o7

Xaryi
Star III
I tried the cablematters adaptator on another much older tb3 equipped laptop, it directly worked without asking anything.
This is sad, very sad. It feels like they just stiched 2 screen together without any real engineering knowledge, how can you fail this hard on making something ?

deckard
Star II
Ok people, you can stop buying adapters that don't work now.

I asked the question officially, which on reflection probably should of been what I should of done first, not last.
Anyway today I have my reply, and I don't think it leaves any wiggle room.

Here it is:
"The USB - C is connected to the PCH, as it is USB/controller based, so if the HMD required direct connection to the GPU, it would not via this port unfortunately."

So the only way you'll be able to use this laptop is via an e-gpu, it's not a great option, but nevertheless it is An option.
intel-5-series-architecture.png
I've added a picture from the wiki, I'm not saying this is the one inside the laptop, but if it's similar then it would seem conclusive.

Deck o7

Blake_ASUS

Hello zacharysides,

We had been tested on this issue just a while ago, and it is very likely related to the compatibility of adapters.

Please kindly change one.

Thank you.

View post
This is by far the worst comment I have ever seen from tech support on an issue, and you and your whole team should be ashamed of yourselves for even thinking about writing it, and you should feel even worse for letting this issue drag on for over three months without providing a substantive response. ASUS is about to lose its good standing with me. I have tried multiple laptops (both Pro Duos), I have tried multiple adapters, I have tried all the ports and configurations I can think of. "Kindly change the adapter" is your response? As if you even knew which adapter the customer had or even deigned to provide known adapters it worked with? Seriously, was this a belated April Fool's joke?
Regarding my own troubleshooting, I thought at first it was only because I couldn't get my first machine to upgrade to Windows 1909. Yet here I am with my second laptop and was able to update just fine, but I still can't get this $3K+ VR-incompatible lie - and I call it a lie because the company clearly stated, multiple times and in multiple ways, that this was a VR-ready laptop with top tier specs.
Either address this issue with full transparency and humility or I will stop buying ASUS for the foreseeable future.