cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9 Security Patches

ssalah
Star II
Hello all,
I'm currently still running Android 9 (Firmware Version WW-16.1220.1909.194) on my ZenFone 6, even though I'm well aware Android 10 has been available for many months. This is through choice. I make heavy use of a tasker feature that doesnt work in Android 10.
When I go to 'About Phone' it tells me I'm on 1st September 2019 Android Security Patch level. I just wanted to ask whether this will always remain the case until I decide to upgrade to Android 10?
It would be great if Asus were able to offer the best of both worlds - the option to stay on Android 9 whilst still getting the latest security patches. I have a feeling this may not be possible, but just wanted to double check I've understood correctly.
If it's not possible, how worried should I be, security wise? I'm intending to keep this phone on Android 9 for at least another 2-3 years.
Thanks folks!
6 REPLIES 6

Bhasky
Rising Star II
ssalah

Hello all,

I'm currently still running Android 9 (Firmware Version WW-16.1220.1909.194) on my ZenFone 6, even though I'm well aware Android 10 has been available for many months. This is through choice. I make heavy use of a tasker feature that doesnt work in Android 10.

When I go to 'About Phone' it tells me I'm on 1st September 2019 Android Security Patch level. I just wanted to ask whether this will always remain the case until I decide to upgrade to Android 10?

It would be great if Asus were able to offer the best of both worlds - the option to stay on Android 9 whilst still getting the latest security patches. I have a feeling this may not be possible, but just wanted to double check I've understood correctly.

If it's not possible, how worried should I be, security wise? I'm intending to keep this phone on Android 9 for at least another 2-3 years.

Thanks folks!

Android 9 Security Patches
9 support ends with that build,
also it's a strategy they use to make everyone to upgrade to latest
also on development perspective, it will be a redundant work to maintain two os with latest build.
As everyone of us aware of that how well they test the build before release, so keeping 2 OS with latest security patch is beyond the scope

Regarding your concern on staying with 9,
I have 2 devices at home with 7 and 8 all doing good with basic, entertainment purpose

_jis_
Zen Master III
I make heavy use of a tasker feature that doesnt work in Android 10.
Which feature do you mean?

ssalah
Star II

Ok many thanks for the explanation @Bhasky
@_jis_ it's the custom navigation bar. I've just got so used to the convenience of these controls and it would detract greatly from my experience were I to lose this.

_jis_
Zen Master III
I am using Tasker too, but I use Fluid Navigation Gestures in Android 10.
Fluid Navigation Gestures - Apps on Google Play