System: Windows 10 Pro -64 bit 10.0.19041
Battery or AC: Both
Model: UX581GV, Bios UX581GV.307
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
When disabling the Webcam using the switch button on the keyboard, the camera is still accessible by some apps. In the attached picture, you can notice that Skype can record me, even after disabling its access to the camera in the privacy settings. Other apps do not get access to the webcam when I switch the webcam off. Just some of them. This is a huge privacy issue.
img-20200618-002238.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

Liviu
Rising Star II
Hi @Blake_ASUS ,
I don't recall it. I have noticed it recently when I was in a Skype call and my webcam started recording me, even after disabling it using the keyboard button on the laptop. Here is a video of a test I just did.

Liviu
Rising Star II
I do recall some weird behaviors before updating it to 2004 update. Sometimes, when entering audio calls (with webcam disabled from the keyboard button), the camera light would blink once. But it didn't happen often. It isn't something easily reproducible.
If I repeat the test from the above comment, with the Camera app preinstalled from Windows, everything works as expected. Once I disable the camera, I get prompted that the app does not have access to it.
These are the Webcam drivers
1.png

Liviu
Rising Star II
Updated to the new bios, 308, nothing changed.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Liviu,
Thank you so much for the update.
I have reported this issue for verification.
Please kindly report this issue to Microsoft and Skype at the same time.
Thank you again.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Liviu,
After confirmation with our technical support,
our camera on/off button follow the setting of Microsoft privacy setting, the same on all models.
Please kindly report this issue to Microsoft and Skype as well.
Thank you.