cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compass issue with the Google maps and other maps apps - Android 10

CbIP
Star III
Hello!
I have just faced with an issue with the compass. Most of the time (>70% of cases) when I open the Google maps (or any other maps app) it shows the wrong direction. E.x. I am walking north and the app shows that I am faced south as if I was walking my back forward. After calibrating the compass everything becomes back to normal until next time.
I use a plastic case (which came with the phone): it should not interfere with the compass/magnetometer. The firmware is: WW_17.1810.1910.73 (Android 10). The phone is not rooted and the bootloader is not unlocked.
This issue annoys me because I often use maps for pedestrian navigation. Besides that this is the second Zenfone 6 I own. The first one was replaced/refurbished due to camera defect.
This time though I believe it is a software bug because after calibration the compass works well until a restart.
I am attaching a screenshot to show the bug. The red arrow shows my real direction and the Google maps sector shows that I am faced ~90 degrees clockwise.This is not even the worst case I got.
In this thread: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/13349 it is said that the issue has been fixed, but it hasn't.
Could anybody help me with the issue?

3QCEL378R01S.jpg

30 REPLIES 30

APaula
Star I
@LP_ASUS I have a similar problem with the compass of my Zenfone6. In my case, the calibration doesn't seem to do anything. I know where is the general location of my North and South, which doesn't agree with the orientation shown on google Maps. Which is weird, it stopped working this weekend (as far as I noticed). What can I do to make the compass work properly? Is this an issue with the software or hardware? I just bought the cellphone this year... so in principle I could claim the warranty. Any help will be appreciated.

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
APaula

@LP_ASUS I have a similar problem with the compass of my Zenfone6. In my case, the calibration doesn't seem to do anything. I know where is the general location of my North and South, which doesn't agree with the orientation shown on google Maps. Which is weird, it stopped working this weekend (as far as I noticed). What can I do to make the compass work properly? Is this an issue with the software or hardware? I just bought the cellphone this year... so in principle I could claim the warranty. Any help will be appreciated.

View post
I assume you are on the most recent firmware version? Have you been seeing this behavior across multiple FW versions?
When dealing with compass issues previously, problem was either a hardware issue or related to the geographic location. If this issue has persisted along multiple FW versions and after a factory reset, I would encourage you to get a hardware diagnosis from your local repair center.

fjaviergj
Rising Star II
Try deleting the data from the Google Maps application.

_jis_
Zen Master III
fjaviergj

Try deleting the data from the Google Maps application.

View post
This issue is independent of used app.

Porpoise
Star I
GPS systems can't natively determine direction... only location.
Some phones have a magnetometer to help determine direction... however my ZenPhone, at least, does not seem to have that functionality. All the apps I've installed show absolutely no values being monitored/recorded.