This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus becomes an verified unity engine partner

Aryan202
Community Legend I
ROG Phone SDK for Unity helps game devs support ROG Phone II and 3Most android games (codm,pubgm) have been made using unity engine
A partnership between Asus and unity means better in engine optimisation for Rog and better compatibility with Asus proprietary stuff (air triggers) and various accessories
Asus Rog phone 2 and 3 SDK will be open source to all the developers using unity engine for their games
That's a great news for both the upcoming Rog 3 and the Rog phone 2
It's good that Asus decided to include the Rog 2 in the program too

11 REPLIES 11

Cenimm
Rising Star I
Jandroid

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/87437#Comment_87437

When developing games specifically for mobile, most developers in the industry prefer the Unity Engine over Unreal Engine because it's more lightweight and is also better for developing 2D games. Unreal Engine is powerful and is definitely the engine of choice for developing AAA titles but not so much for mobile titles.

The kind of mobile games I think of that makes use of Unreal Engine are games that are originally developed for PC and consoles that are then given a mobile version. Examples would be games like Fortnite and ARK: Survival Evolved which were developed in Unreal Engine 4 for the PC and consoles first and then put on mobile later on.

View post
What I have heard is that unreal is better overall but it's harder to master and that's way unity is more common.

Android
Rising Star I
Cenimm

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/89470#Comment_89470

What I have heard is that unreal is better overall but it's harder to master and that's way unity is more common.

View post
While I only had experience with developing on Unity, I did know people who worked on both game engines that told me they're very similar to pick up and learn. Unreal Engine being more difficult to master than Unity isn't an excuse for anyone talented enough to work as a programmer in the game industry. In fact, there are many working in the game industry that are talented enough to build their own engine (using third party engine saves time and resources however). Developers refusing to use available tools because it's more difficult to master has no place working in the game industry. It's always important for game developers (as well as software engineers) to keep themselves up to date and be ready to learn whatever tools are available at their disposal if it will result in a better product. If Unreal Engine is overall better than Unity for mobile games then that's what developers would have worked on.
The main reason Unity is preferred for mobile development is simply because of how "heavy" Unreal Engine is. Unreal Engine has features that mobile devices can't take full advantage of compared to PC and consoles. Most developers prefer Unity for smaller scale projects while preferring Unreal Engine for larger scale projects. Hence why most mobile games are made with Unity while most AAA games are made with Unreal Engine.