This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Phone 1 internal display cracked without physical damage to the glass screen.

Lxndr
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZS600KL
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I've submitted an RMA and found many similar instances of the same situation: Phone's internal display cracks without any significant event of damage. I had my phone for three weeks, bought new from ASUS. Paid about $600. It was great for a bit. Due to working from home and University classes being moved online, I have used the phone pretty much exclusively at home. The phone still APPEARS pristine at first glance, and was in the case when the screen stopped working. Upon further inspection, there are hairline fractures on the internal screen.
I was told by ASUS support to submit an RMA. After doing so, I was told that the damage is not covered due to "physical damage". The issue that I initially reported was internal damage. I've been loyal to ASUS for my entire adult life (both laptops I've owned were ASUS and the only tablet I ever bought was a ZenPad) and recommended ASUS to people for years. This phone, however, is the most expensive phone I have ever bought and, as someone who works in IT, there is no excuse for how poorly this has been handled.
I sent documentation of similar issues to ASUS in my last response and was flat out told that there is "no known issue" when there are innumerable instances of this issue happening with this model.

I just wanted to do something nice for myself and get myself a nice thing. This phone cost more than my rent. How do I go about getting this fixed without paying another several hundred dollars?
11 REPLIES 11

Lxndr
Star II
Christine_ASUS

Hi Lxndr

Thank you for your asking. Normally, determinations, like "physical damage", are diagnosed by the CID team after receiving your device. Please check your Inbox and PM me your RMA No. and country.

View post
Hi Christine,
I sent the RMA number in the private message, and country is US.
I did expect them to check the device for damage. The problem is that I told them exactly what was wrong with it in advance, and thoroughly checked the screen to make sure none of the scratches were external. They attempted to reject the repair based on information that they had before it was sent in, when the damage occurred during extremely light use while the phone was in a case and brand new. Like, that was crushing. I have never bought a phone that nice.
In computers I look for good specs and high quality and the only issues I've had with my previous ASUS devices are reasonable things. My cat knocked my ASUS tablet off my desk and broke the screen; that was astoundingly disappointing but ultimately on me. My old ASUS computer's keyboard broke in many places after 4.5 years of college. I got cocky and tried replaced it myself the last time. Forgot to plug in a ribbon cable and burnt up part of it. (currently trying to rebuild it, though! Upon further inspection, it may not be as destroyed as I last thought). Completely reasonable for a keyboard to break after several years of academic use. My current ASUS computer won't run without being plugged in after maybe four years of use. Understandable, batteries typically only have a few years of life in them and I can replace it eventually (although I do miss easily removable batteries - best buy gave it a standard image instead of including the asus drivers quite right when they reimaged it once and now i'm reluctant to have them replace the battery, but I don't want to mess up like I did with the keyboard....).
My point is that I don't want this to come off like I'm just trying to brush off responsibility somewhere else. Things break, that's life, and I'm fine with taking accountability for it when it's my fault. But this thing was a brand new, expensive thing with claims of durability and tough design that broke from something so small. This one wasn't on me.

Like. I've been shopping for a new computer for school for months (currently laptop meets MOST requirements of my program, but not all) and I was eyein' up that Zenbook ProDuo for the end of the Summer, but this is the worst and it's really making me doubt ASUS in general.

Please help. ☹️

TesseractSpace
Star III
These cases worry me. Since the outer part of the phone is pristine it seems like the damage must be caused by something inside the phone like battery expansion or maybe too strong haptic feedback. Neither of which would be the customer's fault. How brittle is that inner screen to be cracking so frequently?

Lxndr
Star II
TesseractSpace

These cases worry me. Since the outer part of the phone is pristine it seems like the damage must be caused by something inside the phone like battery expansion or maybe too strong haptic feedback. Neither of which would be the customer's fault. How brittle is that inner screen to be cracking so frequently?

View post
Yeah, man, I don't know enough about touchscreens to speculate on that, but I saw some people suggesting that the issue was with the temperature while it's running. I had installed Pocket Camp and gotten into my Nintendo account that day and had been playing around with that a lot that day, so if the person that mentioned temperature, maybe i just overdid it that day. Who knows. This is worse than filing taxes, though.
So far I've been offered a 25% discount on replacing the screen and I'm considering just taking that and adding to the bad reviews on newegg and stuff. I started looking into other companies for my school computer, even though I had been excited about the ProDuo.
I want to keep fighting this, since this is ridiculous, but I'm getting worn down on this. I've already been arguing this about as long as I even had the phone and I was so excited about it and still getting things set up when it broke. Phone arrived 4/27/20. Took me a few days to get it set up. Then it broke on 5/23. It's halfway through June already. @_@

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi Lxndr
After a second time CID diagnosis by another team, based on your service request said that "The internal screen cracked from one light fall", and on the pictures which  represent a specific impact point, the tech team remains the determination on CID physical damage.
Sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

CyberPunk2302
Rising Star II
@Lxndr Escalate this to regional head and all Asus top management email address you can find online.