Star I
System: Windows 10 Home
Battery or AC: AC
Model: UX331UN
Frequency of occurrence: All the time
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description: Hi, I've just received back my notebook from the Service Centre and was told that the motherboard was changed. I then brought it back to test, and so I went to reset the PC via the OS itself (I verified with one of the staff and he told me it was okay to do so). I proceeded to leave it on to download overnight until I realize the download did not progress as the notebook had went into sleep mode. I then went to change the sleep settings by putting the sleep to "Never" , and screen to "1 minute" to verify if the display off function is working. After a minute, the notebook went into sleep mode instead of only turning the screen off. I have also tried using the hotkeys "Fn + F7" to turn my display off, but it still goes into sleep mode. I eventually called the Service Centre and highlighted the issue, only to be told that it could be a software issue, which requires me to pay should I proceed on with the repair. They advised me to reformat the OS using an USB flash drive instead of directly reformatting my PC using the OS as it could be corrupted. I have yet to try it out as I'm having doubts as to whether this would work. I've tried to look for solutions online ,but to no avail. If anyone has any insights or is familiar with this issue, I would appreciate your help. Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

AnthonyLee_ASUS
Rising Star I
Hi @hqtanned & all, we have confirmed that for models supporting modern standby, turning off display will goes to sleep mode as this is the default design by Windows. If you use [Win+L] key, it won't go to sleep mode ( and wait until screen goes out by itself). We have tested that the music from YouTube will keep playing.
If you're not sure whether your laptop supports modern standby, please refer to this link to find out: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1035447/
Thanks!

ekarpicz
Star III
Hi @AnthonyLee_ASUS,
        turning off display will goes to sleep mode as this is the default design by Windows
This doesn't seem to be true, because Modern Standby capable desktop PC doesn't go to sleep on display off. "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected" is present in response to powercfg /a. If you insist on what you said please point us to some document from Microsoft that could confirm "the default design". Thank you.
Regarding Win+L. "If you use [Win+L] key, it won't go to sleep mode ( and wait until screen goes out by itself). " It's not really true. By default desktop lock times out within one minute to Display off, which again leads to Sleep on ZenBooks. It won't go to display off and sleep mode if you change (hidden by default) control panel setting "Display->Console lock display off timeout". See Advanced Power Options for Power Plan. Default value is 1 minute, which in practice is about 30 seconds between Win+L and display go off + sleep. YouTube doesn't stop instantly after this. Some buffered music will keep playing for a while but will certainly stop. To unhide "Display->Console lock display off timeout" you need to edit Windows registry. Please recheck your observations.

hqtanned
Star I
AnthonyLee_ASUS

Hi @hqtanned & all, we have confirmed that for models supporting modern standby, turning off display will goes to sleep mode as this is the default design by Windows. If you use [Win+L] key, it won't go to sleep mode ( and wait until screen goes out by itself). We have tested that the music from YouTube will keep playing.

If you're not sure whether your laptop supports modern standby, please refer to this link to find out: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1035447/

Thanks!

View post
Hi @AnthonyLee_ASUS,
Thank you for the confirmation. I have tried to disable this feature as per the link which you have provided. However, my laptop does not wake properly after putting it to sleep. While the LED of the power button lights up, the display remained off. I had to force shutdown as a result of my laptop being unresponsive. Seems like the solution provided in the link could no longer work. You might want to advise the team on this.
Regards

AnthonyLee_ASUS
Rising Star I
Hi @hqtanned, please confirm few questions below:
However, my laptop does not wake properly after putting it to sleep -> May I know what method did you use to put it to sleep (fn+F7 or Win+L key) ?
Seems like the solution provided in the link could no longer work -> Does it mean you have disabled modern standby in your notebook?
May I know if your notebook is connected to any external devices?
Thanks!

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
ekarpicz

Hi @AnthonyLee_ASUS,

turning off display will goes to sleep mode as this is the default design by Windows

This doesn't seem to be true, because Modern Standby capable desktop PC doesn't go to sleep on display off. "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected" is present in response to powercfg /a. If you insist on what you said please point us to some document from Microsoft that could confirm "the default design". Thank you.

Regarding Win+L. "If you use [Win+L] key, it won't go to sleep mode ( and wait until screen goes out by itself). " It's not really true. By default desktop lock times out within one minute to Display off, which again leads to Sleep on ZenBooks. It won't go to display off and sleep mode if you change (hidden by default) control panel setting "Display->Console lock display off timeout". See Advanced Power Options for Power Plan. Default value is 1 minute, which in practice is about 30 seconds between Win+L and display go off + sleep. YouTube doesn't stop instantly after this. Some buffered music will keep playing for a while but will certainly stop. To unhide "Display->Console lock display off timeout" you need to edit Windows registry. Please recheck your observations.

View post
Hi ,
Please refer to below documents
Modern standby user experiences"When the screen is off, the modern standby state is presented to the user as the system "sleep" state."
If you have further question with modern standby on your desktop, please kindly consult Microsoft.
Also, we have tested that without adjusting those default or hidden options,
using Win+L, I can continue to listen to Youtube music.
If you have issue regarding changing these options, please kindly open another thread , we may discuss further.
Please recheck your observations.