This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerprint reader stops working, then UI freeze trying to log in with PIN

brfitz
Star I
Just bought the 8GB/256GB ZenFone 6 last week, installed a few Google apps and Line, and all I've used it for was browsing the internet on Chrome, listening to Google Music with Bluetooth, using Maps and using Line.
Almost right away I noticed that sometimes when I went to swipe my finger, nothing happened. Then I pressed the side button and entered my PIN and got a black screen.
Touching the black screen would show the finger touches like I had developer mode on, and nothing else. I have never enabled developer mode on this device.
I should also mention that I had updated the device to the latest Android version and updated all the apps.
If I reboot the phone sometimes it will initialize properly and I can log in to the device. Sometimes not. When it does let me in, I can use the phone, and when I press the side key to sleep the phone and then press it again, I can get in again. Sometimes after a longer period with the screen off, it will fail on reading my fingerprint and then get into the hanging mode where I have to reboot it.
I took the phone to ASUS support where I live, and they said it was a problem with the OS, reinstalled the OS and handed the device back to me. Later the same day I ran into the same problem. Took the device back to ASUS support and they looked at it for 5 minutes and then asked if I could run the device in Safe Mode for a while while they look for/wait for a software fix.
I was really excited for this phone, but now I'm disappointed. ASUS support was not helpful and spent the least amount of time they could trying to help me with a solution. I know they are busy, but their lack of interest in finding a solution that worked is unacceptable.
Tomorrow I'll take the device back to the store and get my money back. Really unhappy with ASUS and don't think I'll be buying any more of their products going forward.
5 REPLIES 5

_jis_
Zen Master III
Don't forget to check you SD card for corruption.
Or maybe your card has just very slow initialization.
What exact SD card are you using (brand, capacity, speed class)?