Star I
System: Windows 10 Home
Battery or AC: AC
Model: UX331UN
Frequency of occurrence: All the time
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description: Hi, I've just received back my notebook from the Service Centre and was told that the motherboard was changed. I then brought it back to test, and so I went to reset the PC via the OS itself (I verified with one of the staff and he told me it was okay to do so). I proceeded to leave it on to download overnight until I realize the download did not progress as the notebook had went into sleep mode. I then went to change the sleep settings by putting the sleep to "Never" , and screen to "1 minute" to verify if the display off function is working. After a minute, the notebook went into sleep mode instead of only turning the screen off. I have also tried using the hotkeys "Fn + F7" to turn my display off, but it still goes into sleep mode. I eventually called the Service Centre and highlighted the issue, only to be told that it could be a software issue, which requires me to pay should I proceed on with the repair. They advised me to reformat the OS using an USB flash drive instead of directly reformatting my PC using the OS as it could be corrupted. I have yet to try it out as I'm having doubts as to whether this would work. I've tried to look for solutions online ,but to no avail. If anyone has any insights or is familiar with this issue, I would appreciate your help. Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

hqtanned
Star I
AnthonyLee_ASUS

Hi @hqtanned, please confirm several points below:

1. When it goes to sleep mode, is your laptop lid is closed? Or does it happens no matter lid is open/closed?
  2. If yes, please try to keep the lid open to see if this is the cause of the issue.

Please let us know how it goes. Thanks!

View post
Hi @AnthonyLee_ASUS,
When my laptop goes to sleep, it is when my laptop lid is opened. It would be normal for it to enter sleep mode when the lid is closed, since it is the default settings. I have clarified with the power settings without changing anything.
From what I understand, while I was using the hotkeys (Fn + F7) to toggle off my display when it was still working previously, my laptop only turns off the display as intended. I am certain of this as the LED on the power button remains lit, music on YouTube would continue to play and I could download files with the display off. However now, when I use the same hotkeys (Fn + F7) to turn off my display, the LED on the power button turns to blinking instead, behaving as if it is in sleep mode, making it the same as Fn + F1. To confirm this, I opened YouTube to try to play some music. Just as I pressed Fn + F7 , the music stops playing, confirming that my laptop entered sleep mode, since turning off the display would keep the music playing. I have tried to reset my PC, even did a clean install of Windows and reinstalled the drivers for my laptop model from the ASUS website but the problem persisted.

hqtanned
Star I
ekarpicz

hqtanned,

Perhaps you didn't notice it. I have almost identical to yours UX331UA (just no dedicated graphics) and it from day 1 was going to sleep few seconds soon after closing the lid or locking desktop with Win+L. Display off shortcut Fn+F7 was forcing sleep mode as well. I mistakenly thought I found solution for it with upgraded ATK Hotkey SW. Perhaps Windows upgrade made something to it, certainly not BIOS upgrade.

Didn't you try playing music using Groove Music or play internet radio using TuneIn Radio with display off? These two are examples of what keeps running from Modern Standby sleep mode.

Fortunately there is solution to let PC not sleeping with closed display lid and display off, but no solution for Fn+F7 = display off without sleep.

Edward

View post
Hi Edward @ekarpicz,
Please see my latest response and let me know what you think. Thanks.

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
hqtanned
  1. System: Windows 10 Home
  2. Battery or AC: AC
  3. Model: UX331UN
  4. Frequency of occurrence: All the time
  5. Reset OS: Yes
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description: Hi, I've just received back my notebook from the Service Centre and was told that the motherboard was changed. I then brought it back to test, and so I went to reset the PC via the OS itself (I verified with one of the staff and he told me it was okay to do so). I proceeded to leave it on to download overnight until I realize the download did not progress as the notebook had went into sleep mode. I then went to change the sleep settings by putting the sleep to "Never" , and screen to "1 minute" to verify if the display off function is working. After a minute, the notebook went into sleep mode instead of only turning the screen off. I have also tried using the hotkeys "Fn + F7" to turn my display off, but it still goes into sleep mode. I eventually called the Service Centre and highlighted the issue, only to be told that it could be a software issue, which requires me to pay should I proceed on with the repair. They advised me to reformat the OS using an USB flash drive instead of directly reformatting my PC using the OS as it could be corrupted. I have yet to try it out as I'm having doubts as to whether this would work. I've tried to look for solutions online ,but to no avail. If anyone has any insights or is familiar with this issue, I would appreciate your help. Thanks!

Notebook unable to turn off display, goes into sleep mode instead
Turn off Fast start-up in Power settings.
Turn off Hybernation

ekarpicz
Star III
Hi @hqtanned
I've not yet checked implementation of Modern Standby on many different PC's.
Today I checked display off on Modern Standby equipped desktop PC with Gigabyte MB using B360 chipset. Modern Standby is really working, but display off just does display off, sleep is entered according to sleep timer. Hidden 'Console lock display off timeout' setting was set to 1 Minute like in our case. It works as expected, just turns off display after lock and doesn't force sleep mode.
As you may see from the link I provided previously Dell users experience (perhaps experienced) similar issues. Certainly something is wrong either on Asus side or on Microsoft side.
Edward

ekarpicz
Star III
@RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS,

Nonsense. Hibernation is must have even on ZenBooks. You may not use it, but critical battery action should be allowed to hibernate. Sleep mode keeps discharging and shutdown may lead to data loss. BTW it won't even shutdown if some APP complains that data is not saved. Hibernation is allowed to take place at any given moment.
I of course will try turning Fast Startup, but I believe it has nothing to do with Fn+F7. If you are suggesting it, did you at least try Fn+F7 with YouTube? You bet it keeps running on ZenBooks?