BIOS Installer for Windows
Optimize system performance

Version 309 2019/06/054.46 MBytes
BIOS 309

Version 308 2019/01/214.46 MBytes
BIOS 308

Version 308 from date 2020/05/25 comes in different format compared to version 308 from 2019/01/21. Is it really the same version? What happened to version 309? And where's is changelog of what's changed???

Thanks
Edward
6 REPLIES 6

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Edward,
Please refer to below FAQ.
The BIOS Installer for Windows for BIOS 308 is still BIOS 308, just a new different way to install.
Sorry for confusing, your opinion has been reported.
And the ASUS Device Activation is to improve information security.
Please kindly update it.
Thank you.
Update BIOS - How to update BIOS in Windows | Official Support | ASUS GlobalASUS Device Activation Security Update for ASUS PCs | Official Support | ASUS Global

ekarpicz
Star III
Blake_ASUS,
thanks for your clarifications. It is still not clear though why BIOS in new form came for older than 309 version. Asus just released BIOS in new form and someone forget that they had newer one? Should I downgrade from 309 to 308?
.. and completely not clear about "device activation". I've read FAQ you pointed me to before asking. It is totally confusing. Does it tune something in BIOS? Does it modify Windows registers? If later then which ones. Security is always different, which aspect of security does it touch? My PC, though came with Windows 10 Home had Bitlocker encrypted SSD. On Windows Home (not PRO) users won't even know they have encrypted SSD before something fails and data recovery service asks for additional money or say they can't help. That's why I had to reinstall Windows with bitlocker disabled. That was more than year ago. Now I see some "activate device for normal working" and wonder should I install it or not. These days most of new updates, even those with clear descriptions, should be checked in sandboxes before installing on work PC. And this "for normal working" SW gives no single clue even in FAQ what it is for and what it does. My device seems working well, except for poor quality SSD. I want to know what I'm missing not installing it and what I could gain installing it.
Thank You
Edward

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Edward,
Like I mentioned, BIOS Installer for Windows for BIOS 308 is just "a new way to install BIOS". No need to downgrade....
Your confusion has been take in to consideration about where to put this new tool.
And to improve information security is to prevent the possibility of leaking information from our APPs.
Thank you.

ekarpicz
Star III
Hello Blake,
OK, so new 308 BIOS is indeed old 308 BIOS.
          And to improve information security is to prevent the possibility of leaking information from our APPs.
Sorry, but I still don't understand. Does it enable some Windows Firewall settings for Asus APPs? Does it prevent users copy pasting something from Asus APPs? Indeed what does it activate? Perhaps could be good to install even if it does something good and something bad.
Thanks for your time and regards
Edward