Star I
System: Windows 10 Home
Battery or AC: AC
Model: UX331UN
Frequency of occurrence: All the time
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description: Hi, I've just received back my notebook from the Service Centre and was told that the motherboard was changed. I then brought it back to test, and so I went to reset the PC via the OS itself (I verified with one of the staff and he told me it was okay to do so). I proceeded to leave it on to download overnight until I realize the download did not progress as the notebook had went into sleep mode. I then went to change the sleep settings by putting the sleep to "Never" , and screen to "1 minute" to verify if the display off function is working. After a minute, the notebook went into sleep mode instead of only turning the screen off. I have also tried using the hotkeys "Fn + F7" to turn my display off, but it still goes into sleep mode. I eventually called the Service Centre and highlighted the issue, only to be told that it could be a software issue, which requires me to pay should I proceed on with the repair. They advised me to reformat the OS using an USB flash drive instead of directly reformatting my PC using the OS as it could be corrupted. I have yet to try it out as I'm having doubts as to whether this would work. I've tried to look for solutions online ,but to no avail. If anyone has any insights or is familiar with this issue, I would appreciate your help. Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

ekarpicz
Star III
Hi,
indeed there's solution for Win+L (lock) going to sleep. There are two hidden power plan settings, which could be unhidden editing registry. One settings seems being irrelevant to the issue. It's Sleep->System unattended sleep timeout. It's for when Windows wakes PC in the middle of the night to perform updates, unattended sleep timeout specifies timeout for going to sleep after those unattended updates.
Another hidden setting is Display->Console lock display off timeout. Though setting name is abut display off, but on Modern Standby PC's it also puts PC's to sleep. Default setting is 1 minute. Changing setting to 0 seems fixing issues.
Oops, I 'm not allowed to paste links.

Why MS did so? Why users can't lock account and keep downloading something big or calculating/compiling something , which could take long. Everyone needs to be admin
Edward

ekarpicz
Star III
pasting links as text
onmsft.com/how-to/adjust-windows-10-lock-screen-timeout
dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9360-Windows-10-Lock-screen-quickly-goes-to-sleep/td-p/6202320
Edward

hqtanned
Star I
royschreiber

This is due to Microsoft's "Modern Standby". All types of sleep (including turning off the display) have been replaced with this modern standby, which is probably causing a few of the issues reported here on the forum including the one where the computer doesn't come out of sleep mode.

View post
I didn't update my windows and had no issues with toggling my display off whenever I want to without my notebook going into sleep mode previously, so I doubt this affected me.

ekarpicz
Star III
hqtanned,
Perhaps you didn't notice it. I have almost identical to yours UX331UA (just no dedicated graphics) and it from day 1 was going to sleep few seconds soon after closing the lid or locking desktop with Win+L. Display off shortcut Fn+F7 was forcing sleep mode as well. I mistakenly thought I found solution for it with upgraded ATK Hotkey SW. Perhaps Windows upgrade made something to it, certainly not BIOS upgrade.
Didn't you try playing music using Groove Music or play internet radio using TuneIn Radio with display off? These two are examples of what keeps running from Modern Standby sleep mode.
Fortunately there is solution to let PC not sleeping with closed display lid and display off, but no solution for Fn+F7 = display off without sleep.
Edward

AnthonyLee_ASUS
Rising Star I
Hi @hqtanned, please confirm several points below:
When it goes to sleep mode, is your laptop lid is closed? Or does it happens no matter lid is open/closed?
If yes, please try to keep the lid open to see if this is the cause of the issue.
Please let us know how it goes. Thanks!