Star I
System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zenbook Pro Duo UX581GV-XB94T
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No
Screenshot or video: N\A
========================
Detailed description:I cannot get my Valve Index VR headset to connect to this laptop with the Cable Matters USB C to DisplayPort adapter, and the Valve Index will not work with HDMI.
Does the Thunderbolt 3 port connect to the RTX 2060, or the Intel UHD 630 graphics?
I'm curious if anyone has used the Valve Index with the Zenbook Pro Duo
26 REPLIES 26

darktears31
Star III
I haven't tried myself yet but I believe the HDMI is wired straight to the RTX. Would an adapter from hdmi to displayport do the trick?

deckard
Star II
Unfortunately the Index requires a higher bandwidth connection than the HDMI out can't supply, so any HDMI converter to displayport is doomed before you try it, but thanks for the input.
As more high end laptops use this port to be a catch all (cop-out) to adding dedicated ports to save money, either headsets will have to accommodate, or laptops.
So while we're at this impasse, obviously we're looking for an alternative workaround which hopefully will be to find a working TB3 to dP adaptor.

deckard
Star II
2020-05-29.png
An article on upload vr suggests that if you open the nvidia control panel applet and navigate to physx, if the symbol is connected to the integrated UHD 630, then it's not likely it'll work, period.

Reference : (Can't post links yet)
uploadvr
oculus rift-s-valve-index-no-hdmi

Xaryi
Star III
deckard

2020-05-29.png

An article on upload vr suggests that if you open the nvidia control panel applet and navigate to physx, if the symbol is connected to the integrated UHD 630, then it's not likely it'll work, period.

Reference : (Can't post links yet)

uploadvr

oculus rift-s-valve-index-no-hdmi

View post
This post shows that it's not always true, but we can't get a straight answer from support. Only corporate talk.
Can't post links either but try searching reddit oculus rift s laptop issues usb c

deckard
Star II
Xaryi

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/84580#Comment_84580

This post shows that it's not always true, but we can't get a straight answer from support. Only corporate talk.

Can't post links either but try searching reddit oculus rift s laptop issues usb c

View post
I had a look at the reddit post in question.
Best I can tell is he changed something in the bios, downloaded an applet, and used a particular adaptor.
I looked in the bios, and only saw 1 item that pertained to the thunderbolt port, and I can't see that changing the option would help (see pic).
As for the applet (TBCC), that's already pre-installed with the laptop, so no chance of installing it after the bios change.
But one thing that was interesting was his adaptor.
Unlike the one I have, he had a TB3 to dual DP adaptor. What is significant about this one and not others, is this one is TB3 only, ie it won't work in a usb-c port, it has to be TB3. It then shows up in the TBCC app, and possibly this is why it works.
My adaptor does show up, but it shows as a USB device, if you check eject USB tray app, there it is.

Unfortunately his adaptor was from a US website, where it was out of stock, but searching for another in the UK, in fact the rest of the world I still couldn't find one in stock anywhere.

img-20200602-121331330.jpg
So it doesn't look like I'll be able to use it for VR anytime soon.