Star I
System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: AC
Model: Zenbook Pro Duo UX581GV-XB94T
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No
Screenshot or video: N\A
========================
Detailed description:I cannot get my Valve Index VR headset to connect to this laptop with the Cable Matters USB C to DisplayPort adapter, and the Valve Index will not work with HDMI.
Does the Thunderbolt 3 port connect to the RTX 2060, or the Intel UHD 630 graphics?
I'm curious if anyone has used the Valve Index with the Zenbook Pro Duo
26 REPLIES 26

Xaryi
Star III
deckard

My UX581 exhibits this same behavior of reverting from extended to mirrored, and steam VR giving that error.

I did buy this laptop with an eye it was VR capable/ready, because its specifications are far greater than my desktop PC it should work much better, otherwise I could of just bought a new desktop for less.

Plus my desktop PC is in a small room, only really capable of using the Index for seated VR, where the laptop would give me the flexibility to use a larger (temporary) space.

View post
Same thing, I need it to make presentation in larger spaces, with client. I can't find anywhere how to force another option to avoid this issue. And even if I do it does not guaranty that it will work, it's only the first step.

deckard
Star II
Are there any official possible workarounds @Blake_ASUS ?
Really would like to at least try VR on this laptop if I could without having to buy something else, probably also stupidly expensive.
Thanks,
Deck.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello deckard,
UX581 works with VR, this is what we have tested.
However, we are not able to test all kinds of adapters.
Really sorry about that.
All your feedback have been reported.
Thank you.

deckard
Star II
Hi Blake,
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately that obviously doesn't tell anyone much, it's a bit like my car manufacturer saying that the audio unit has been tested and it works with phones, but neglecting to say which (ie tested with iPhone but not android or blackberry), and then no one wants to fess up to this fact when people can't get them working.
Obviously the UX581 has more than enough specifications to run VR with ease, but it would seem only compatible (I'm assuming as I don't have one) with headsets that connect to the HDMI port, but nowhere is this mentioned.
This is a a flagship product, it would make sense the owner also has a flagship headset to accompany it.
Perhaps add a disclaimer :does not work with Valve Index: to the product page.
Could I also assume that the newer dual screen (ROG Zephrus Duo 15 w/tilting screenpad) models would also not work with an adaptor for the exact same reasons (btw I don't think it's the adaptors fault, it's the way the system sees and handles them that I believe is the issue) ?

I guess, bottom line, will not work with VR via the thunderbolt port, the Valve index requires a native external displayport only.
Hopefully others searching will now see this and seek an alternative (headset or laptop).
Deck.

Xaryi
Star III
I am still in search of a solution, maybe it's because i just don't want to believe something so basic as professional VR was neglected by a firm claiming to do everything for creators.
If, as you claim, the index is working with an adequate adaptator please juste give us the reference. If a multi billion internatial firm is not capable of testing all adaptators you should imagine pretty well we are not able too. It would make our life way easier both for you (no more post about the same subject) and for us (being able to finally work).
If it's a software problem when can we expect an update on the zenbook drivers ? If it's a hardware problem why is it not advertised as such on the product page. I mean a TB3 port has no reason not to work with an Index. If it's an adaptator problem what is your recommandation because I tested adaptators way above specs and that I saw work on other pc and still nothing.
Finally, if you have any kind of workaround it will do. I mean after all posts made about this subject and all the feedback send to your engineering team we could reasonably hope for anything to make this work, at least a definitive answer and an explanation.