This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls not received. Texts delayed.

justinleon2113
Star III
Hello. Just upgraded to the ZenFone 6 (Edition 30) over the new year and notice that many calls from family and friends are going straight to voicemail. I tested this with a friend in the room, and out of 5 attempts, only 3 made the phone ring. Many important calls for business do not ring at all. I am using Ultra Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO) and have done the usual run-around (reset phone, empty cache, check all settings for fowarding, DND, and such). Even on a fresh install, it is experiencing the same phenomenon. I tried a different phone and it seemed to consistently work...I'll keep testing.
I wanted to see if anyone else had issues with not getting calls or texts (irrespective of carrier) or if it could be just carrier issues for me. I have great coverage in my area, thus it is not like I am roaming or disconnected. Thank you for the help.
159 REPLIES 159

dt808
Rising Star I
skylerwolfe

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/81120#Comment_81120

Have you checked your wifi calling settings in the "secret" settings? I haven't had any missed calls or texts in the past weeks since I made sure that was turned off. It may be unrelated but worth a try if you haven't. It doesn't fix the lack of volte and the sometimes poor coverage that sometimes leads to, though.

View post
i finally did the 'secret' settings and turned off wifi calling. we'll see if its helps me or not. i also have another option called 'enhanced 4g lte mode'. are u guys turning that on or off?
thanks!

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
dt808

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/81143#Comment_81143

i finally did the 'secret' settings and turned off wifi calling. we'll see if its helps me or not. i also have another option called 'enhanced 4g lte mode'. are u guys turning that on or off?

thanks!

View post
Give it a few weeks and report back if it helps. Or sooner I guess if it doesn't.

dt808
Rising Star I
so after setting up the secret settings i can already report back a noticeable improvement in call quality. i made several calls to people who used to say i sounded distant or they couldn't hear me clearly and they said call quality now is really clear and clean. calls also connect much more quickly and so far text messages haven't gotten stuck in 'sending' status. still too early to see if I'll miss any calls or messages but so far today I've gotten every single call. will report back if anything significant happens but I'm happy right now lol.

justinleon2113
Star III
Hello all. Thought I'd just report back to say I'm in an area with coverage again. I reset my phone a few weeks ago due to having a lot of duplicate downloads and old apps, so I thought I'd give an update on my "fresh install" experience.
In areas I used to have good service, I now experienced poor reception. in addition to the suggestion from @skylerwolfe regarding turning wifi calling off, I also recommend the suggestion by @Bluetooth over here:
Bluetooth

I have found a tweak that has worked for me.

I live in NYC and have TMobile. Switched from a Motorola g4+. Immediately after switching to the Zenfone 6 I started to have issues making calls and getting them (didn't happen with the g4+). The signal bar would show a good signal, but calls would not go through. More than once I missed an important call because the person calling me got sent directly to voicemai, even though I had my phone next to me in my bedroom in a 3rd floor next to a window.

I kind of figured that it might have to do with the LTE. So I went to the phone settings where you can force the phone to only use 3g. But it turns out that it doesn't work.

V033D8A5A8MY.jpg

Long story short, this is the solution I found. There is a way to access the phone's advanced cellular settings. Where you can choose to keep the phone from using 4g LTE:

1. Punch this into the dial pad #*#4636#*#

This will take you to this screen:

D8IU3OFO1AB3.jpg

2. Select Phone Information.

It'll take you to this:

I can't show the top of the page because it has my phone's info, and I was too lazy to edit it out. Here you see the bottom part of it.

65K6BP1IVKBO.jpg

3. Change the Set Preferred Network Type to Global Auto (PRL). Give it a couple of seconds and you'll see the information above this setting change from LTE to in my case HSPA and UMTS.

With this setting modified, I now have the same connectivity as I did with my G4+. Haven't noticed a big change in the data speed. I can still stream 480p YouTube videos when I have a solid signal. And the calls are decent in quality. Nothing like the HD audio you get with VoLTE, but it's better than nothing.

I first tried 3G only, but I couldn't even load Google some times. Calls were ok though.

Absolutely love all other aspects of my Zenfone 6, but if I had been aware of this issue before purchasing the phone, I would have spent my money on something else.

View post
Original Thread: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/13421/zenfone-6-on-at-t-in-us-anyone-getting-lte
Changing to Global Auto boosted my bars dramatically and there was no longer a 5-10 second delay when first making a call.
Also, @dt808 I have Enhanced LTE set to Off since that seemed irrelevant in this current T-Mobile/ASUS relationship.
I don't really get a lot of texts so I've been testing text responsiveness mainly by getting one-time verification codes from banks or my old Apple ID. Lately they have worked as expected. I will keep everyone posted.

dt808
Rising Star I
@justinleon2113 - great info! good to know there are other solutions if something i've tried doesn't work. this is my second day with wifi calling off and so far i'm still good so i'm not gonna mess with any other settings just yet. i just got off a long call with someone and not once did they ask me to repeat myself or said they missed what i said. i'll keep posting on my experience here to keep everyone updated.
thanks all! 😀