cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Hacked

woA
Star II
Hi Everyone!

Yesterday, my phone was just charging while idling, locked, and screen turned off. Suddenly, my camera turned on - I knew it turned on because it suddenly flipped and faced the front for a second, and then turned off, and flipped backwards into the default position again. I was stunned because it never happened with the locked idling phone before, and I knew something's wrong.
I am writing you to ask you, if there is a log, or any way to find out which processes have access the camera in the last hours.
I don't have any custom apps, only standard stuff from PlayStore. I didn't install anything new for the last few weeks, or a month, except Twitter. I installed Twitter that day earlier, and that was the only new app I had since forever.

Please help me out!

Thank you!
13 REPLIES 13

woA
Star II
I checked the logs, and there were no missing calls from google due - I don't even have an account there.

woA
Star II
I swear! This was the freakiest thing that ever happened, I saw it with my own eyes! My camera rotated up, stayed up for a sec, and then rotated back down! The screen NEVER ever even blinked! That's the creapiest part!!! That the screen didn't even turn on at all. It stayed off, and locked for the whole time!

woA
Star II
denying camera to everything is not a solution. The solution is to find the source. Can someone please tell me where are the camera logs?
Although, I have a strong feeling, it's a vulnerability in the android itself, so if someone was able to quickly check my camera, they def had access to the logs as well. Not good... 😕

I checked the Camera code, and it seems that the built-in camera only programmed to Log errors only?

woA
Star II
I know. It never happened to my phone before either. I like Zenfone 6 so much - when my camera is on, and wants to point at me, it has to make a sound, and motion, unless the phone is upside down, of course. That's really cool. On the phones with static cameras - you just never really know, for example...
I don't think I'll ever find out what caused it singlehandedly.. Mainly because the camera doesn't log accesses, and requests, only errors. Wait... What if an error actually happened in that moment? Where can I find the error logs on Android?
Okay I found it, I need to use logcat either via adb, or via an app. I looked into it, and all logs are empty, apart from the stuff that only happened maximum 2 minutes ago.
The app logcat can let you log actually any desired app. So, at this point it's the only thing I can do - use the logcat to log the com.asus.camera app while trying to avoid using it completely, and see what's gonna happen in the future. The logcat can be manually configured to log everything that's happening to the camera, not only errors. That's what I did. Now I'll just not use the camera at all, and see, maybe I'll get lucky.
Thank you guys! If I find anything I promise, I'll write about it here!

woA
Star II
My phone was charging on a charging stand, that keeps phone in a vertical position
V8KFQO1NXNH1.jpg