Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FX505DY incompatible with XMP RAM?

csantacruz63
Star II
System: Windows 10 and linux x64
Battery or AC: both
Model: Tuf FX505DY
Frequency of occurrence: wildly unstable, can be every 30 minutes or every 2 days
Reset OS: Have reinstalled both multiple times to no avail
========================
Detailed description:
I bought a stick of 8GB DDR4-2666 RAM in order to upgrade my laptop. Immediately began to show stability issues. The computer hard resets to bios (and does so immediately, neither linux nor windows manage to generate any logs or memory dumps). Tried the new stick alone and the problem persists.
Memtest showed no problems on the stick.
The only difference of the new stick is that it is XMP.
This is not an OS problem but a BIOS one, please look into it. (running latest BIOS version, 315)
5 REPLIES 5

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
csantacruz63
  1. System: Windows 10 and linux x64
  2. Battery or AC: both
  3. Model: Tuf FX505DY
  4. Frequency of occurrence: wildly unstable, can be every 30 minutes or every 2 days
  5. Reset OS: Have reinstalled both multiple times to no avail

========================

Detailed description:

I bought a stick of 8GB DDR4-2666 RAM in order to upgrade my laptop. Immediately began to show stability issues. The computer hard resets to bios (and does so immediately, neither linux nor windows manage to generate any logs or memory dumps). Tried the new stick alone and the problem persists.

Memtest showed no problems on the stick.

The only difference of the new stick is that it is XMP.

This is not an OS problem but a BIOS one, please look into it. (running latest BIOS version, 315)

FX505DY incompatible with XMP RAM?
As per my basic knowledge,. Few high end desktop motherboards are supported by XMP RAM modules with dedicated special bios firmware together with supported choosets .
I have little doubts on laptop.
Go through the processor technical specifications website , you will find the details.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello csantacruz63,
Please kindly provide exact brand and model of the RAM you bought.
Thank you.

csantacruz63
Star II
@RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS
Went through the AMD specification sheet and other places like wikichip and saw nothing regarding incompatibility.

@Blake_ASUS
Its a Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 8GB PC4-21300 (2666MHz) (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QQWBQ9S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
@csantacruz63 . Then I am sorry . intel inc have all technical specifications for each processors. but AMD not provided. Send the the email to amd support team.