Zenfone 5 ZE620KL Android 10 Audio Bug and Navigation Gesture

fizdiq
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ASUS_X00QD
Firmware Version: QKQ1.190723.002.WW_Phone-17.0615.2003.20-20200325
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Every time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Google play music, Spotify, YouTube, YouTube Music, every audio player, Google Chrome, Twitter, Whatsapp, etc.
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
There's this bug on the Android 10 beta that made the audio volume lower than the previous version. Even with the built in equalizer, it didn't change the audio much. The audio felt muffled, and it feels far more worse using an earphone, but when the phone connected to a bluetooth speaker, it sounded just fine.

Also, with Android 10 comes a new form of navigation gesture. While opening settings app or Google Photos the navigation bar is basically transparent, but using almost other app than that, there's an ugly large black bar underneath the app.
9K4QKSBXX3BA.jpg
While on the settings app it looks like this
ZX8VCL1LDJNV.jpg
The bottom part of the app is transparent.
Can you guys make the black bar in all app transparent? Or just make it smaller in general?
6 REPLIES 6

Y_ASUS
Zen Master I
Hi fizdiq,
Could you tell us the brand and model of your earphones & bluetooth device? Does it appear with the original earphones?
"Even with the built in equalizer">Please tell us which app you mean by this.
"the audio volume lower than the previous version.">Which app has this problem? What is your volume level when the volume feels low?
Thank you🙂
We've checked with relevant teams about the gesture navigation behavior in third party apps.

fizdiq
Star I
Y_ASUS

Hi fizdiq,

Could you tell us the brand and model of your earphones & bluetooth device? Does it appear with the original earphones?

"Even with the built in equalizer">Please tell us which app you mean by this.

"the audio volume lower than the previous version.">Which app has this problem? What is your volume level when the volume feels low?

Thank you🙂

We've checked with relevant teams about the gesture navigation behavior in third party apps.

View post
Hi @Y_ASUS,
For the earphone that I use is Audio-Technica ATH-CKS550XiS, and the bluetooth speaker that I use is JBL FLIP 3 SE.
Android has its own equalizer that you can access by opening the settings on a music app. Here's some examples of my preset on each app:
Google Play Music:
X66IZCQP4QBC.jpg
DJQ5W2HYDXOK.png
Google Play Music doesn't have any customizable settings.
YouTube Music:
2ZOMURFSYOXI.png
P5N6U6O5ZB6A.png
Here's the preset that I use that didn't cause such a muffled sound, but it still cause an imbalance high pitch if a higher Bass Boost is present.
Musixmatch:
KWS16OIWIUL1.png
CSU4IP89OJYY.png
This is the in-app equalizer.
Spotify:
XARMAD333ZMA.png
AYUQ5CZCD43H.png
Of all the music app that I used, only spotify that uses this preset that has a "normal" loudness, and a better quality on the music. No muffled sound whatsoever.
Usually this is how high the volume that I use, whether on Android 9 or Android 10:
VRZHLR9AFDHU.jpg
Also, as you can see the lower part of the gesture navigation still has a big black bar.
Hope you guys can fix this issue!

Y_ASUS
Zen Master I
Hi fizdiq,
After the relevant team's investigation, the black area when using gesture navigation on third party apps is expected behavior of Android 10.
Thanks for your understanding.

fizdiq
Star I
Hi @Y_ASUS,
I understand that the black area should be there, but what my real problem is that the size of the black bar, it's too huge compared to other Android 10 devices. For example, as you can see here, it's a pixel device running Android 10, if you look closely at the bottom, the navigation gesture bar isn't as big as in the zenfone 5 navigation gesture bar.
CSUKAFPSVO3P.gif

If you look at this article here [https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/5/7/18530599/google-android-q-features-hands-on-dark-mode-gestures-accessibility-io-2019], you can see a GIF that shows how the navigation gesture works, and also on that same GIF you can see that the navigation bar isn't as big as in the zenfone 5.
Hope this will help!