This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing forced circles on icons on the ZenUI launcher

guifisilva
Star III
Hello! I strongly dislike how every icon is forced to be round/circled on the default pack.
I kinda like how each app can set their own icon and display it as a square or a standalone icon and I'd like to keep it this way if possible.
Unfortunately the only way to change the rounded appearance is to download another icon pack that doesn't force rounded borders and use it instead of the "ASUS UI" icon pack. But I want the default view...
Here's what I mean:
H17FBXXCRRWX.jpg
I installed an Icon pack and if an icon isn't specified (Netflix's FAST speed test and Flow Free in this case) it will display the default one, without forcing a circled enclosure. Firefox, Feedly and Google Pictures are customized but aren't inside a circle.
Of course I couldn't find a "Custom Default Icon Pack" because it's illogical... Even though it's exactly what I need.
Does anyone know a way to fix this that doesn't involve installing another launcher?
10 REPLIES 10

asifbarwatiya
Rising Star II
guifisilva

Hello! I strongly dislike how every icon is forced to be round/circled on the default pack.

I kinda like how each app can set their own icon and display it as a square or a standalone icon and I'd like to keep it this way if possible.

Unfortunately the only way to change the rounded appearance is to download another icon pack that doesn't force rounded borders and use it instead of the "ASUS UI" icon pack. But I want the default view...

Here's what I mean:

H17FBXXCRRWX.jpg

I installed an Icon pack and if an icon isn't specified (Netflix's FAST speed test and Flow Free in this case) it will display the default one, without forcing a circled enclosure. Firefox, Feedly and Google Pictures are customized but aren't inside a circle.

Of course I couldn't find a "Custom Default Icon Pack" because it's illogical... Even though it's exactly what I need.

Does anyone know a way to fix this that doesn't involve installing another launcher?

Removing forced circles on icons on the ZenUI launcher
The Icons are forced to round/circled is that it appear to be clean & minimalist, were as different shapes looks messy, but its a personal preference i would say,

_jis_
Zen Master III
different shapes looks messy, but its a personal preference i would say
So we are in the same boat, as I prefer different icon shapes too 🙂
ZTAE5DT8T88W.png

guifisilva
Star III
_jis_

I'm just curious: Why are you refusing to install a third-party launcher when e.g. Nova is definitely better than pre-installed and and gives you complete freedom? I always install it on all my phones, regardless of brand, making me always at home, regardless of Android skin.

View post
Because other than this the launcher works ok (except maybe being unable to set a custom wallpaper as home screen when setting a dynamic wallpaper as lock screen but whatever). I'd rather not purchase a launcher and risk it not getting any updates later (i.e. when Android 11 eventually arrives) and using a free one may come with limited functionality unless you go premium, or come with ads, or with trackers phoning home all the time, or all of these at once. Nova Launcher for instance has a Prime version.
Besides, this launcher DOES support arbitrary shapes, it's just I couldn't find a way to enable it without using an icon pack.
I suppose I could create an icon pack with just one custom icon or something like that but even this is more complicated than it should be. I'm experienced with manipulating images and CSS but not with coding.
I might have to use Nova Launcher after all if this can't be changed or if I can't find an icon pack that suits my needs.
asifbarwatiya

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/18007/removing-forced-circles-on-icons-on-the-zenui-launcher

The Icons are forced to round/circled is that it appear to be clean & minimalist, were as different shapes looks messy, but its a personal preference i would say,

View post
Yep it's a personal preference. And while you say clean and minimalist, I say boring and inconsistent. It may be the developer's "fault", but just take a look at how Lara Croft GO's icon is displayed:
5CVMZTF3OR8V.jpg
I don't have hundreds of apps installed but I'm already having problems finding an exact app to open because they all look the same, so I have to search by name. Different icon shapes helped with this a bit.
So we are in the same boat, as I prefer different icon shapes too 🙂
At least you get why I created this topic. 🙂

_jis_
Zen Master III
Yes, system automatic icon reshaping in above example doesn't work very well in Android.
Original icon:
XAPGVKCWMJAB.png
Nova launcher icon reshaping works smarter:
O279DS2RC78V.png

Click on the Three Dots -> Preferences -> Folder/Icon -> Icon Frames (Just Uncheck it)
This will give you the actual icon shape.