cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Issues in ROG phone 2 after 2 months usage

Apollofury
Rising Star II
Hi guys !
I got my ROG 2 among the first batch in India . It's currently running on android 9 , 1st October security patch ,kernel 4.14.83 .
some issues i am facing -

Screen freezes in the middle of gaming, especially while playing call of duty, the screen just freezes but i can still hear the audio and people chatting , i have to go back to home screen , clear the game from memory and restart it.
fingerprint scanner is really really slow , i have a 3.5 year lenovo phone whose finger print scanner is faster than ROG 2, second if an app has app lock and the screen times out when that app is open then the system UI crashes hen i open the phone lock using fingerprint scanner, i have to lock the screen and open again .
ear speaker crackles when on a phone call, this happens only when i am on a call, the speaker makes crackle noises .
The macro mode in the camera is probably one of the most difficult thing i have deal with in photography, it does not focus on the subject at all , i have struggle with various angles and distances to figure out when it wants to work.
Pocket mode is probably a useless feature on the phone as the phone has pocket dialed emergency services multiple times.
The screen brightness is a major issue , the lowest brightness setting can still act like a torch light in pitch dark places ( it's way too bright!) . The other strange thing i have noticed is when i step into direct sunlight the auto brightness sensor really struggles , the brightness incremental is so slow that i can basically see the brightness increases in sorta like step wise like flickering.
and last updates guys come on! i am not asking for android 10 but security updates or updates to fix simple bugs , anything at all ! one of my family member is using zenfone max M2 and it is running on December 5th update and i am using a premium phone released in 2019 that is running on android 9 october 1st update .
other than the above issues am really glad i bought this phone , it's a beast of phone and definitely a head turner in a crowd.
61 REPLIES 61

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
jyun88

Sometimes it is game issue and sometimes it's phone software issue.

Anyhow,Asus really need to step up on the software support. Yes i know Asus team is working on it but it's not good enough to play the smartphone "game" among so many brands.

I don't know about Tencent edition and i will definitely never going to get 1 cause they're Tencent for a reason.

I really hope Asus really can step up into the game here. Price point level, there are Samsung,Oneplus which did very well. OnePlus really step into the game very well and they get into premium pricing(many can live with that)

Sorry if I sound harsh to Asus team(you guys did well) but your company really need to step up.

View post
I understand your frustration but I don't believe Tencent Games would appreciate if we point out all the issues they are well aware of that they already have. Just have a look at PUBG at play store. Trust me, THEY KNOW.
PUBG MOBILE - 2nd Anniversary - Apps on Google PlayA gaming phones properties is to have more powerful hardware than "normal" phones. To offer some sort of edge. What they do not and can not do, is to magically make games with code issues to just work.

Keshav
Star I
Call of duty Freezes for me quite frequently. I never play Battle Royale. I only play Multiplayer, or Ranked mode. And this problem always comes. It has come since Feb 2020. This problem was not there earlier. Really a bummer, becuase either it crashes between the game, or freezes somewhere.

Hate it!! Also, the phone gets pretty warm while playing, to the point I have to stop and keep my phone aside (PS: I never play for more than 40 mins at a stretch)

jyun88
Rising Star II
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/51869#Comment_51869

I understand your frustration but I don't believe Tencent Games would appreciate if we point out all the issues they are well aware of that they already have. Just have a look at PUBG at play store. Trust me, THEY KNOW.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tencent.ig&showAllReviews=true

A gaming phones properties is to have more powerful hardware than "normal" phones. To offer some sort of edge. What they do not and can not do, is to magically make games with code issues to just work.

View post
Hmm... Noted
Thank You for you enlightenment. I admit i know not much about normal smartphone with gaming phone BUT i must say,i glad i bought ROG2 unlike my 1st so called gaming phone HONOR PLAY(Yuksss)

nakul696
Star III
@Anders_ASUS What can be the reason behind the fact that the screen goes black only when the device gets hot? For me personally, when I see the temperature go 42+, I am certain that it will happen in the current round of the game. And it almost always does.
I am a game developer myself so I highly doubt that the devs would have included a relation like that. It seems more like a GPU command receive failure which might be caused by the some OS failsafe that gets triggered by the temperature rise.

ApolloFury

Hi guys !

I got my ROG 2 among the first batch in India . It's currently running on android 9 , 1st October security patch ,kernel 4.14.83 .

some issues i am facing -

1. Screen freezes in the middle of gaming, especially while playing call of duty, the screen just freezes but i can still hear the audio and people chatting , i have to go back to home screen , clear the game from memory and restart it.
  2. fingerprint scanner is really really slow , i have a 3.5 year lenovo phone whose finger print scanner is faster than ROG 2, second if an app has app lock and the screen times out when that app is open then the system UI crashes hen i open the phone lock using fingerprint scanner, i have to lock the screen and open again .
  3. ear speaker crackles when on a phone call, this happens only when i am on a call, the speaker makes crackle noises .
  4. The macro mode in the camera is probably one of the most difficult thing i have deal with in photography, it does not focus on the subject at all , i have struggle with various angles and distances to figure out when it wants to work.
  5. Pocket mode is probably a useless feature on the phone as the phone has pocket dialed emergency services multiple times.
  6. The screen brightness is a major issue , the lowest brightness setting can still act like a torch light in pitch dark places ( it's way too bright!) . The other strange thing i have noticed is when i step into direct sunlight the auto brightness sensor really struggles , the brightness incremental is so slow that i can basically see the brightness increases in sorta like step wise like flickering.

and last updates guys come on! i am not asking for android 10 but security updates or updates to fix simple bugs , anything at all ! one of my family member is using zenfone max M2 and it is running on December 5th update and i am using a premium phone released in 2019 that is running on android 9 october 1st update .

other than the above issues am really glad i bought this phone , it's a beast of phone and definitely a head turner in a crowd.

Multiple Issues in ROG phone 2 after 2 months usage
I have been facing all of the above. Specially problem no. 1, the phone is unplayable. Before it use to freeze and crash once every 3-4 games but after the Android 10 update the COD Mobile screen blacks out 2wice every game. It happens even though i play on medium settings. It's really frustrating and i have started regretting to buy Asus.
Please work with Tencent and fix this bug instead of playing blame game or rest assured you are loosing a lot of gamers. My friends having one + and they have smooth gaming experience.