This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UX534FTC goes into sleep mode as soon as the screen is off.

ZT-64015ccc
Star I
System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: AC
Description: UX534FTC goes into sleep mode as soon as the screen is off.
Model: UX534FTC
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
Reset OS: Yes

Hi, All! I have a brand new Asus ZenBook UX534FTC. I bought it just 2 weeks ago. From the very beginning, I found one strange thing. Every time when I lock the system (press Win+L or simply F9), if screen settings are set to turn off the screen in any time (2, 5, 10 and so on minutes), the system goes into sleep mode even though power settings are set to forbid going into sleep mode. If I set appropriate screen settings at "Never" (never turn off the screen), then everything is fine: I lock the system, the screen is never off, the system is never sleep. It happens no matter I use battery or AC. It happens even with absolutely virgin system, just installed from the hidden partition of the notebook. My short investigation makes me think, that the problem has something to do with video drivers from Asus. Because when I remove Intel and Nvidia drivers, which came from the box, and replaced them with Windows Standard Video Driver, the problem went away. When I reset the system, the problem came back. Official Asus support from Moscow was not capable to help me. The best their advice sounds like: "We think you have a hardware problem, therefore please contact the nearest service center". I don't think this is a hardware problem. Because the notebook works excellent except this issue. Did anybody here experienced the same issue?
9 REPLIES 9

ZT-64015ccc
Star I
blake_ASUS posted on 2020/2/21 09:56 Hello almih2006, Please provide the power plan setting and advanced power options screenshot also, ...
Hello, blake_ASUS! Thank you for your reply. I don't know why, but the forum engine did not send me any notification that somebody had written an answer in my topic. Anyway, these are the screenshots you requested. But I use the Russian language UI of Windows, therefore everything is in Russian. Power Option (Asus Recommended): Power Settings (Asus Recommended): As regards the power settings for my wireless adapter, it simply doesn't have such an option. It doesn't have appropriate tab. On your screenshot you have 7 tabs, I have only 6. Power Management tab is absent. However, I can see this settings in another place in Windows settings. And my network connection has the following settings "Never disconnect from the network, if the computer is in sleep mode or work from the battery": Any thoughts on my problem?

ZT-64015ccc
Star I
udpsendtofailed posted on 2020/2/21 11:44 This is a feature of Windows, called Modern Standby. My UX434FLC does the same. When you install a b ...
So this is a feature, not a bug? Actually I don't mind my laptop goes into this "Modern Standby" mode. But... I want my device to keep doing whatever it does even when the system is locked. For example, if I download something really big, let's say a file of 40 Gb, I don't want to seat in front of my laptop. I want to lock my system and go on my business. In a couple of hours, I want to see the file downloaded when I come back. But for now, it seems the download process is interrupted, as soon as the system goes into "Modern Standby". As I understand if the "Modern Standby" mode was enabled in the system (obviously it was enabled even though I don't remember I was asked about this option during system setup), I can't disable it. And this mode has a bigger priority than power settings. Am I right? So what to do? How can I make my network connection keep to be active even when the system goes into "Modern Standby"?

almih2006 posted on 2020/3/5 14:11 So this is a feature, not a bug? Actually I don't mind my laptop goes into this "Modern Standby" m ...
Yea, I had the same issue with downloads, couldn't find any solution until now. After applying the registry patch it seems fine, locked my laptop several times, it didn't go in sleep where the network connection cuts off. Normal sleep mode is working too whenever I want, it just wakes a little, 1-2 seconds slower than with enabled Modern Standby. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Useful-Life-Hack-How-to-Disable-Modern-Standby-Connected-Standby.45312...

ZT-64015ccc
Star I
Alright. As I understand now (thank you to @udpsendtofailed), the issue I faced with my laptop was caused not by a bug, but rather by a normal feature of the operating system. I had never heard about "Modern standby" until recently. And I am surprised that neither Microsoft technical support nor Asus technical support mentioned or told me about the feature. From the very beginning, the problem for me was a network disconnection after the laptop has gone into a sleep mode (or "Modern standby" mode as I know now). Although I solved this problem simply forbidding the screen turning off, this solution was not quite good for me. I was looking for the right solution. But in fact, the problem has gone on its own. 2 days ago after I had known about "Modern standby" I tried one more time, leaving my laptop downloading a really big file plus started the DLNS server in my home network. In 5 minutes according to the system settings, the laptop went into "Modern standby" mode, but the network connection was continuing. The file was downloaded and the server was working without aby troubles despite all signs of a sleeping mode. So what was the difference between the state of the laptop when the issue was happening and the state when the issue disappeared? It seems it disappeared after I reinstalled the operating system from the image which had to be on my laptop from the factory. The hidden partition with the image of the operating system was restored in the Asus service center where I went in a couple of weeks after I had bought the laptop. In the service center, it turned out that my brand new laptop had the image of the operating system for the same device model but for another region. I am not sure whether the wrong region image was a real reason for the issue, but the truth is after I reinstalled the system from the right image, the issue disappeared. I, nevertheless, faced another issue, but after the story with "Modern standby" for now I am not sure, that this is again not a bug, but a feature:-))) Need to conduct a couple of experiments first.:-)))

sasha_flerov
Star I
Hello everyone! I have the same problems on my UX533FD. I know about Modern Standby mode on my laptop and it works, but there is a problem with downloading files in standy mode. After series of experiments i saw that if i start downloading some file - it will be downloaded. But if i have download queue, new downloads from waiting list will not start to download. So, maybe i need to change some settings in my torrent client, for example, a value of simultaneous downloads? Or is there any helpfull settings in Win 10 system? I know that i could change Modern Stanby mode on standart S3 mode (according to this topic https://www.notebookcheck.net/Useful-Life-Hack-How-to-Disable-Modern-Standby-Connected-Standby.45312..., but is there a solution without changing standby mode? Hope so...