This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to update to 1809 with HDD caddy (2nd HDD)

ilinter_989
Star I
System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: Battery
Description: Update to windows 1809 while Hdd caddy is attached it causes a boot loop
Model: X541
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
Reset OS: No

Hey there I have removed the DVD and installed the hdd of my vivobook book there So that I would have my Ssd and hdd While whenever I wanted to update to the October update I was unable to do so Even if I wanted to perform a clean install I won't be able to access the setup of windows unless I detach the hdd caddy I have tried to install the windows 1809 while the hdd caddy was detached and I have successfully installed it Then I have attached the hdd caddy and again I wasn't able to access the windows Contacted windows support via c chat They said contact your manufacturer Maybe a boss update is needed My boss is in version 308 (latest by the website)
10 REPLIES 10

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello ilinter.989, Are you able to access Windows with out the HDD attached? If so, please access Windows without it first. After you successfully boot the laptop, attached the HDD, then backup HDD, then format it. If the problem persist, please let me know. Thank you for messaging us. Have a nice day.

ilinter_989
Star I
blake_ASUS posted on 2019/3/15 06:20 Hello ilinter.989, Are you able to access Windows with out the HDD attached? If so, please access Wi ...
I have tried this scenario I have detached the 2nd HDD sucesfully booted to the windows setup installed version 1809 turned off then attached the 2nd HDD boot loop yet i have tried another scenario i have moved all the data of the 2nd HDD to an external backup device wiped fully the HDD tried to access the setup no luck

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
Last edited by RAJU2529 on 2019/3/20 16:16 try with windows 10 deployment method, it does not need setup.exe , that method needs , winre.wim , install.wim and windows pe bootable pendrive . i used same method installing different window 7 or 10 on different computers. i am using x542uq-dm153 1. samsung ssd m.2 250gb 2. seagate 2tb hdd (removed 1tb hdd and inserted 2tb hdd ) 3. toshiba 1tb hdd (removed dvd and inserted with hdd caddy)

ilinter_989
Star I
RAJU2529 posted on 2019/3/15 14:45 try with windows 10 deployment method, it does not need setup.exe , that method needs , winre.wi ...
what i mean by setup is from the pen drive ( clean install) it gets me into boot loop any ways will try your way