This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Night mode question.

Kanu
Rising Star II
One thing i noticed is that when i take a night shot (on night mode) it doesn't load up completely. By that i mean the circle that show that multiple frames are being captured stops halfway and i get a below par image. This doesn't happen on gcam and also when it the circle fully 'loads' , the image is much better. So is this a software issue? That night mode doesn't take many frames or more seconds to capture a photo.
18 REPLIES 18

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
akhilj66

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/47805#Comment_47805

Why do I sense sarcasm here.

Where is tripod mode?

I tried taking stable shots using both gcam and stock cam. My concern is not why Gcam performs better, rather why there is no noticable difference between photo mode and night mode in stock cam. Also in my lifetime, I haven't taken a single shot from horse back.

View post
It was not my intention to imply that you had ever take a photo from a horse back. It was just the first thing that came to mind where it's really hard to hold the camera still.
Making a good night mode is really hard. You have lots of images being put together and most them will be thrown away if there's too much movement so the software can't stitch them together. This is why normal photo mode can result in an almost equally good image. It's also worth knowing that if the camera considers that it's too bright, then it won't activate night mode even though you're in night mode mode. You will know depending if the night mode logo is showing during the photo capture or not.
Tripod mode becomes available automatically when the phone is held absolutely still. It's almost impossible to hold it still enough without a tripod to activate this mode so leaning against something won't be enough.

akhilj66
Rising Star II
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/47892#Comment_47892

It was not my intention to imply that you had ever take a photo from a horse back. It was just the first thing that came to mind where it's really hard to hold the camera still.

Making a good night mode is really hard. You have lots of images being put together and most them will be thrown away if there's too much movement so the software can't stitch them together. This is why normal photo mode can result in an almost equally good image. It's also worth knowing that if the camera considers that it's too bright, then it won't activate night mode even though you're in night mode mode. You will know depending if the night mode logo is showing during the photo capture or not.

Tripod mode becomes available automatically when the phone is held absolutely still. It's almost impossible to hold it still enough without a tripod to activate this mode so leaning against something won't be enough.

View post
Anyways, a little bit more processing and optimization for night mode would be very helpful. Phone already has the best camera sensor out there.

OPC
Zen Master II
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/47892#Comment_47892

View post
To expect amazing night photos by just tapping the shutter icon is unrealistic. Even with high end DSLR when taking multiple exposures in raw format or even if taking HDR photos in tiff/jpeg one has to stand still and learn the skill. Even more so than with a phone. Otherwise there is a mismatch between exposures and photos are blurry. It's not so difficult to find any support, even the palm of a hand with the elbow pressed against the body, use timer and hold breath while the job is done. And Rog 2 in this field is doing just fine.
But it doesn't mean that night mode cannot be improved. By that I mean first of all shadow and highlight management, detail and noise. I have to say that my experience is limited to these phones: Huawei P20pro , P30pro; Samsung S8, Note 8,9, various iPhones. Huawei just shines. Photos are high in detail, but noise is controlled very well. Also dark and bright areas are well balanced. Samsung would reduce noise a lot but would smudge everything, for example fine grain in the wood. No fine detail at all, just pumped colours. iPhones would make natural colour, nice detail but with noticeable noise. Rog would be iPhone style, but worse. Some detail is present but noise is high. Also dark and bright areas are not balanced so detail is lost in the dark. Since Rog has one of the best sensors, this could be improved in software. By the way I tried GCAM night mode and I am not happy. It's balancing dark and bright well, still detail is lost. Actually most of 3rd party apps cannot make photos as good as stock app. The portrait mode in the stock app on the other hand shines. I really like how ASUS managed the gradation of the blurr and manages detail in the center. I believe the night mode can be brought to the same level of refinement.
I am still on A9, so maybe in A10 things will be improved?

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
OPC

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/48051#Comment_48051

To expect amazing night photos by just tapping the shutter icon is unrealistic. Even with high end DSLR when taking multiple exposures in raw format or even if taking HDR photos in tiff/jpeg one has to stand still and learn the skill. Even more so than with a phone. Otherwise there is a mismatch between exposures and photos are blurry. It's not so difficult to find any support, even the palm of a hand with the elbow pressed against the body, use timer and hold breath while the job is done. And Rog 2 in this field is doing just fine.

But it doesn't mean that night mode cannot be improved. By that I mean first of all shadow and highlight management, detail and noise. I have to say that my experience is limited to these phones: Huawei P20pro , P30pro; Samsung S8, Note 8,9, various iPhones. Huawei just shines. Photos are high in detail, but noise is controlled very well. Also dark and bright areas are well balanced. Samsung would reduce noise a lot but would smudge everything, for example fine grain in the wood. No fine detail at all, just pumped colours. iPhones would make natural colour, nice detail but with noticeable noise. Rog would be iPhone style, but worse. Some detail is present but noise is high. Also dark and bright areas are not balanced so detail is lost in the dark. Since Rog has one of the best sensors, this could be improved in software. By the way I tried GCAM night mode and I am not happy. It's balancing dark and bright well, still detail is lost. Actually most of 3rd party apps cannot make photos as good as stock app. The portrait mode in the stock app on the other hand shines. I really like how ASUS managed the gradation of the blurr and manages detail in the center. I believe the night mode can be brought to the same level of refinement.

I am still on A9, so maybe in A10 things will be improved?

View post
Camera will be pretty much the same in A10. You won't notice any noticeable difference.
Currently Apple, Huawei and Samsung have camera departments that are much bigger than ours. We can hope to beat them one day but it will be hard. What we can do is to try new and different solutions that may offer an interesting alternative but software is a big part in the final result and these companies spend a lot of money to be number one in this area.
If someone is looking for the best camera performance then we're not the best fit for that customer. Our strength lays in the complete package with a very good (but not the best) camera, BIG battery, the best SoC (CPU/GPU), clean UI, something unique and a nice price.

Kanu
Rising Star II
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/48108#Comment_48108

Camera will be pretty much the same in A10. You won't notice any noticeable difference.

Currently Apple, Huawei and Samsung have camera departments that are much bigger than ours. We can hope to beat them one day but it will be hard. What we can do is to try new and different solutions that may offer an interesting alternative but software is a big part in the final result and these companies spend a lot of money to be number one in this area.

If someone is looking for the best camera performance then we're not the best fit for that customer. Our strength lays in the complete package with a very good (but not the best) camera, BIG battery, the best SoC (CPU/GPU), clean UI, something unique and a nice price.

View post
Can there be a different mode for simple night mode which accounts for minute shakes and the other mode can be tripod mode( the mode that is currently there). Many other companies have that.