cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compass issue with the Google maps and other maps apps - Android 10

CbIP
Star III
Hello!
I have just faced with an issue with the compass. Most of the time (>70% of cases) when I open the Google maps (or any other maps app) it shows the wrong direction. E.x. I am walking north and the app shows that I am faced south as if I was walking my back forward. After calibrating the compass everything becomes back to normal until next time.
I use a plastic case (which came with the phone): it should not interfere with the compass/magnetometer. The firmware is: WW_17.1810.1910.73 (Android 10). The phone is not rooted and the bootloader is not unlocked.
This issue annoys me because I often use maps for pedestrian navigation. Besides that this is the second Zenfone 6 I own. The first one was replaced/refurbished due to camera defect.
This time though I believe it is a software bug because after calibration the compass works well until a restart.
I am attaching a screenshot to show the bug. The red arrow shows my real direction and the Google maps sector shows that I am faced ~90 degrees clockwise.This is not even the worst case I got.
In this thread: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/13349 it is said that the issue has been fixed, but it hasn't.
Could anybody help me with the issue?

3QCEL378R01S.jpg

30 REPLIES 30

_jis_
Zen Master III
If both phones have similar behavior, it's possible that it's Android related somehow.
I think the same.

CbIP
Star III
I have updated to ver. 121. It didn't fix the issue with the compass, but I noticed that the compass movements became smoother. 

Giorgio80
Star III
CbIP

I have updated to ver. 121. It didn't fix the issue with the compass, but I noticed that the compass movements became smoother. 

View post
Is it so difficult to solve it? It's a very annoying issue! Please fix the compass behavior in Google maps while the app is in background

Giorgio80
Star III
Anyone tried if with ver. 129 the issue persist?

_jis_
Zen Master III
Giorgio80

Anyone tried if with ver. 129 the issue persist?

View post
Both issues (wrong direction, wrong position) still persist even with .133.