This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Brightness is very faulty

jaibalaji2020
Star III
The adaptive brightness is super faulty. Screen always gets darkened even in a brightly lit room. Phone expects the light to reflect on it all the time to stay in optimum brightness, otherwise it gets dark pretty quick. I'm not using any screen protector either. This is actually very annoying and a major blocker when watching any video content or even any simple task on the phone. Please fix it pretty quick. This is a very basic thing. Thanks!
31 REPLIES 31

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
GFX

@Anders_ASUS any idea if this is something that can be fixed by a hard-reset or is it something that the dev team can look at? Does the ZF6 use different brightness sensors in different markets/regions?

View post
I'm currently trying to get more information internally about the light sensor in general. A hard-reset will probably not do anything but I have to check.
Why jis sensor increases between 4-5 lux instead of 5-6 or 6-7 lux, I do not know but it doesn't really matter. The difference between 4 lux and 7 lux isn't that big. You probably would want to have the lowest screen brightness in both cases anyway. Even when it registers 0 lux.
Now the main problem of all light sensors regardless of brand, is that they are very sensitive to where the light comes from. You can basically have a spotlight aimed at your phone with a very low angle without the sensor registering it even though it's very bright to your eyes. Change that angle by a little bit and the registered lux can go from 1 to 1000 even though the lighting conditions in the room hasn't changed at all. Because of how the sensor is designed, I feel pretty confident when I say that this is an issue that all smartphones are sharing. The answer to why some of you are happy and some are not, could be as simple as that you have different layout in your homes relative to where the light sources are located and what they look like. This and how much you've taught the adaptive brightness bar by constantly adjusting it whenever you're not satisfied.

_jis_
Zen Master III
This and how much you've taught the adaptive brightness bar by constantly adjusting it whenever you're not satisfied.
Exactly, that reminded me of one very important thing that I forgot to mention.
I said this:
The ZF6 is my first phone where adaptive brightness works smoothly under any lighting conditions (inside at home/work, outside in shadow/sunlight) and I never need to manually adjust brightness.
I have to add one word at the end of that sentence: now.
I have been using the ZF6 for 8 months, and of course at the beginning when it was new, I had to manually adjust the adaptive brightness here and there in certain specific conditions where its response was not optimal.
The frequency of this adjustment was decreasing, and after a few weeks there was no need to touch the brightness at all. I'm sorry I didn't mention this, but it's been over six months and the previous post of @Anders_ASUS reminded me.

_jis_
Zen Master III
Also, I should add that, except for the first day of use, I never did a factory reset, so everything I set up on the phone or the phone learned my phone remembers, and if someone does a factory reset often, of course, they always have to start over from scratch.

GFX
Rising Star I
The difference between 4 lux and 7 lux isn't that big. You probably would want to have the lowest screen brightness in both cases anyway. Even when it registers 0 lux.
Theoretically it isn't a big difference but if these are all the values that I get inside my apartment then that's the range I have to work with. In my case, it measures 0 both in a lit or unlit room, and if the device is held in a specific way it might measure 7 or 14 in rare cases. That essentially means that adaptive brightness can only switch between two values (no matter how much you teach it).
The difference with other sensors that scale smoothly between 0-7-14 is that adaptive brightness has more room to work with (more input values) and therefore will result in smoother brightness changes (more output values) rather than just switching between only two values.
I realize that this is a very specific issue and probably affects a very small portion of the user base but I thought perhaps it could be a simple fix (probably in the kernel) to either increase the resolution from the sensor or maybe offset the readout values a little bit.
I just wanted to share my thoughts and my experience in case that helps, but thank you for the assistance in any case ?

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
GFX

The difference between 4 lux and 7 lux isn't that big. You probably would want to have the lowest screen brightness in both cases anyway. Even when it registers 0 lux.

Theoretically it isn't a big difference but if these are all the values that I get inside my apartment then that's the range I have to work with. In my case, it measures 0 both in a lit or unlit room, and if the device is held in a specific way it might measure 7 or 14 in rare cases. That essentially means that adaptive brightness can only switch between two values (no matter how much you teach it).

The difference with other sensors that scale smoothly between 0-7-14 is that adaptive brightness has more room to work with (more input values) and therefore will result in smoother brightness changes (more output values) rather than just switching between only two values.

I realize that this is a very specific issue and probably affects a very small portion of the user base but I thought perhaps it could be a simple fix (probably in the kernel) to either increase the resolution from the sensor or maybe offset the readout values a little bit.

I just wanted to share my thoughts and my experience in case that helps, but thank you for the assistance in any case ?

View post
Well this is true assuming that the phone will let you have different settings for 0, 7 and 14 lux. I tried teaching my phone to have different brightness levels for these values but it refused even though I changed the brightness three times for each value. Could be that it takes more time to make the values stick. I don't know how Googles adaptive brightness algorithm works but I hope to get some valuable insight from my colleagues at the R&D department.