This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Brightness is very faulty

jaibalaji2020
Star III
The adaptive brightness is super faulty. Screen always gets darkened even in a brightly lit room. Phone expects the light to reflect on it all the time to stay in optimum brightness, otherwise it gets dark pretty quick. I'm not using any screen protector either. This is actually very annoying and a major blocker when watching any video content or even any simple task on the phone. Please fix it pretty quick. This is a very basic thing. Thanks!
31 REPLIES 31

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
The fact that it jumps 6-7 lux per step is not the problem. Those are still very small steps. I experience these light adjustments myself but I'm not so annoyed by them because i most often know why they happen. The light sensor is located towards the top right corner and sometimes I might be viewing a youtube video with my thumb hovering over the sensor. Now, there is not going to be an immediate change in brightness once I do this as there is a deliberate delay. So if the lux value has been lover for a certain time, only then will it lower and you might not know why it happened. Even if you do move your finger there can be a delay before the brightness goes up unless the new lux value is a lot higher. Most people including myself don't have time to wait and we change the brightness bar ourselves.
Now you will probably say that we should remove this delay or make it shorter but then you will notice that brightness goes up and down much more frequently in other scenarios. It's very hard to find that perfect mix.
The reason why some of you have issues and some do not is likely due to that you have different lighting conditions and that you hold/use your phone differently.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if we use the code we got from google as it is so hard to find that perfect setting that fits all scenarios.

_jis_
Zen Master III
@GFX
Don't be mistaken that if your other phone indicates a change in brightness by one lux, its adaptive brightness will work better. The sensitivity of the compared sensor that indicates each change of brightness by one lux, or our in ZF6, which indicates a change of four to five lux, is not related to the quality of adaptive brightness function.
How can I say that? From my own experience.
Here are the values measured on my previous phone Mi A1 and ZF6 between 0 to 34 lux:
Mi A1:
0 1 4 6 8 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21 22 23 24 25 26 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
ZF6:
0 4 8 13 17 21 26 30 34
From these two measured sequences one would easily deduce that Xiaomi had to have a much finer and better adaptive brightness, but it was absolutely not true. I had to have this feature turned off as unusable. On Asus, it is the opposite experience. I have it permanently on and I don't know about it. It doesn't bother me in any way, because it works as it should.

_jis_
Zen Master III
An interesting reading:
Luxmeter App versus measuring device:
Are smartphones suitable for measuring illuminance?
https://www.dial.de/en/blog/article/luxmeter-app-versus-measuring-deviceare-smartphones-suitable-for...

GFX
Rising Star I
Anders_ASUS

The fact that it jumps 6-7 lux per step is not the problem. Those are still very small steps. I experience these light adjustments myself but I'm not so annoyed by them because i most often know why they happen. The light sensor is located towards the top right corner and sometimes I might be viewing a youtube video with my thumb hovering over the sensor. Now, there is not going to be an immediate change in brightness once I do this as there is a deliberate delay. So if the lux value has been lover for a certain time, only then will it lower and you might not know why it happened. Even if you do move your finger there can be a delay before the brightness goes up unless the new lux value is a lot higher. Most people including myself don't have time to wait and we change the brightness bar ourselves.

Now you will probably say that we should remove this delay or make it shorter but then you will notice that brightness goes up and down much more frequently in other scenarios. It's very hard to find that perfect mix.

The reason why some of you have issues and some do not is likely due to that you have different lighting conditions and that you hold/use your phone differently.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we use the code we got from google as it is so hard to find that perfect setting that fits all scenarios.

View post
Thanks for the information @Anders_ASUS
I usually experience this issue when reading articles so I'm holding my phone in portrait mode with my hand on the bottom side so my fingers are nowhere near the light sensor. It's no the delay that is problem, it's the fact that -in my apartment- the sensor cannot detect my lighting condition so it has to approximate it to either 0 or 7. 0 is too dark so it doesn't blind me in bed, and 7 is too bright. Most of the time when I'm reading at home with the lights on the sensor reading is 0 most of the time. The reason I compared it to the OP3 is that the reported light value is between 3-4 when the ZF6 is measuring 0.
@_jis_ I'm not interested in an accurate measurement of light intensity, that's not what I use my phone for. My argument is that "adaptive brightness" is dependent on the sensor resolution, so having that extra resolution between 0 and 7 would greatly help adaptive brightness set the proper backlight value.
I will try to take a video when I get home to demonstrate what I mean.
According to your post the sensor actually steps to 4 rather than jumping directly to 7 so that's one difference between our ZF6 devices.

_jis_
Zen Master III
I'm not interested in an accurate measurement of light intensity, that's not what I use my phone for.
I know that and I didn't contradict it.
My argument is that "adaptive brightness" is dependent on the sensor resolution, so having that extra resolution between 0 and 7 would greatly help adaptive brightness set the proper backlight value.
Here I opposed you, because of my example of two devices where one had a much finer lux scale and yet there adaptive brightness worked very very problematic while on ZF6 I have absolutely no problem with it.
According to your post the sensor actually steps to 4 rather than jumping directly to 7 so that's one difference between our ZF6 devices.
Actually ZF6 indicates a change of 4 to 5 lux.
Try to measure the values close to zero again, maybe you couldn't achieve so low light to initiate lux values lower than 8 or 7.
BTW I measured my values by tilting the phone so that the sensor was more or less illuminated by the lamp, with the same low brightness of the illumination, while approaching or moving away from the light source to get as many values between 0 and 34 as possible.