This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive Brightness is very faulty

jaibalaji2020
Star III
The adaptive brightness is super faulty. Screen always gets darkened even in a brightly lit room. Phone expects the light to reflect on it all the time to stay in optimum brightness, otherwise it gets dark pretty quick. I'm not using any screen protector either. This is actually very annoying and a major blocker when watching any video content or even any simple task on the phone. Please fix it pretty quick. This is a very basic thing. Thanks!
31 REPLIES 31

skylerwolfe
Zen Master I
Odd. Works great for me.

GFX
Rising Star I
I actually had the same issue from the first day of use.
I've done some digging and it seems that the problem is either in the kernel or the sensor. When I check the sensor readings in CPU-Z I see that the ambient light sensor resolution is too low in dim lighting, the interpreted value jumps from 0 to 7 and then to 14, whereas in my old OnePlus 3 the readings smoothly transition from 0,1,2,3 and so on, and I observed it by monitoring the sensor values in both phones face up on my desk right next to each other and in the same lighting conditions. Therefore the issue is not related to Android or to the Adaptive Brightness feature but in the kernel or the sensor.
I tried looking at the kernel source code to see if it's possible to increase the sensor resolution to make smoother but I have zero experience with kernel development and couldn't really find where to start or what exactly to look for, but maybe someone else here with more experience can take a look at it.
There is a chance that it's a software issue and then it can be solved by Asus, but I'm worried that it could be how the HW sensor itself is implemented in which case there would be no way to fix it without replacing the whole device.
But I agree it's a super annoying issue especially for apartments or houses with low lighting because the screen brightness keeps shifting between "blindingly bright" and "unreadable darkness" and nowhere in between, at least not when the sensor is active (i.e. adaptive brightness is on).

_jis_
Zen Master III
The ZF6 is my first phone where adaptive brightness works smoothly under any lighting conditions (inside at home/work, outside in shadow/sunlight) and I never need to manually adjust brightness. I have to say that on Android 10, my satisfaction with adaptive brightness has even increased compared to the A9 even though I was already satisfied with it on A9 compared to my previous phones. So I conclude that you two probably must have some hardware problem. Did you search the forum here to see if any other has already complained about adaptive brightness? I do not remember anyone having a similar problem.

GFX
Rising Star I
_jis_

The ZF6 is my first phone where adaptive brightness works smoothly under any lighting conditions (inside at home/work, outside in shadow/sunlight) and I never need to manually adjust brightness. I have to say that on Android 10, my satisfaction with adaptive brightness has even increased compared to the A9 even though I was already satisfied with it on A9 compared to my previous phones. So I conclude that you two probably must have some hardware problem. Did you search the forum here to see if any other has already complained about adaptive brightness? I do not remember anyone having a similar problem.

View post
It could very well be a hardware problem on our end. I have no complaints about adaptive brightness in good lighting conditions, it adjusts well and reacts quickly. My only issue is in the special case when ambient brightness is reported somewhere between 0 and 7 lux (or whatever unit of measurement is used), in my apartment that is the usual case after sunset and therefore this becomes a daily issue for me.
@_jis_ could you please help us by checking the sensor readings in AIDA64 or CPU-Z? Could you verify if the sensor transitions smoothly between 0 and 7 or not? This helps us narrow down the problem to our devices or to the software itself.