This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ROG phone 2 GPU throttle?

pong
Star I
So called "gaming phones" have left a bitter taste in my mouth because they throttle just like regular phones except delayed by 5 or 10 minutes.
For example when the GPU of the Razer Phone 2 is maxed out, within just 5 minutes the frequency will enter into this ridiculous sine wave form where it jumps up and down between 710 MHz and 350 MHz, literally halving the frame rate every 3 seconds. The problem is these gimmicky "vapor chambers" which are sandwiched inside the phone and surrounded by thermally insulating plastic and glass which prevents the heat from escaping and causes it to build up till the temperature reaches a critical point of throttling. Not only do these "Water Cooling 3D Super X Ultra Gaming Vapor Chambers" not prevent throttling but they add a lot of extra weight to the phone making it stressful to hold.
Has anyone here with the ROG 2 tested whether the GPU throttles when maxed out? GPU throttling is far more important than CPU throttling as most of you know. I saw anadtech benchmarks saying it doesn't throttle, but there's two problems with that:
1- They didn't check to make sure Asus isn't cheating by detecting the benchmark app and disabling throttling. I wouldn't blame Asus if they did this since almost everyone else does it, especially OnePlus and Xiaomi. Anandtech also mentioned that the phone literally gets too hot to touch during these benchmarks, fueling further the theory that they disabled the throttling that normally kicks in during gaming.
2- Anandtech ran the 3DMark test which gives room for the GPU to breathe every 3 minutes when the test has to be re-run which provides an opportunity for the temperature to go back down. This is unrealistic since during gaming you won't exit the game every 3 minutes then open it up. You'll be running it continuously for 30 minutes or an hour.
10 REPLIES 10

OPC
Zen Master II
49 is the highest I go according to the real time performance monitor in Game Ginnie. But I don't feel comfortable on my hands with that temperature. On the front it's ok. But on the back it feels too hot for me.