This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prolonging the battery life

vedhprakashy
Star II
This my first new phone I've ever gotten and I want to do anything I can to prolong the battery on-screen time and overall lifespan of it. I've already done most of my research on this topic myself and have applied what I learned, such as partial charging, avoiding hot places, planning to stop using fast/hyper-charging and a few more. I want to know what are you guys' take on this topic. Any tips are appreciated, it'll help both me and passing readers. Thank you in advance! ?
25 REPLIES 25

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
Well battery Nerds will always be battery nerds. Sorry but I don't agree with managing battery life that hard because it does not make much of a difference. You should go onto youtube and check out zollotech who did a test on batteries with 3 different iphones over the course of 3 years where the phones were charged to 100%
I am giving an advice based on an average user perspective not from a battery nerd perspective. If you really want to continue preaching about batteries and if you think the study that was done 8 years ago is still very much relevant even after all the technological advancement and the improvement in manufacturing processes and techniques. Then I think you should really go on the forum of oppo and try to convince everyone who has bought an oppo reno ace that is capable of fast charging the device from 0 to 100% in just half an hour and tell them not to use the hyper charger but a low current and voltage charger and also tell them to keep their batteries at 80%
My advice is simple. It is ok to charge to 100%, just don't over charge it. Make use of the battery care if you want to and just enjoy the device. Why go for 80% out of the 6000 mAh that is put into the device ? why even spend that kind of money if you are not going to make full use of it ? by the way most manufacturers now put a buffer on the phone batteries these days so you do not actually hit the limit.
He is asking for advice, I just gave it but I don't need a battery nerd to come out of the woodwork and start throwing out numbers which is honestly not practical. Technology is meant to be a tool for us but not the other way round so why lose sleep over something that you are going to replace every 2 years or 3 years?
And you are acting as though after 2 years the battery is still going to be holding the capacity 100%. Batteries degrade whether you like it or not.

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
By the way I already tried so many methods of charging even from the early days where they said batteries has the memory effect. Managing the battery that hard is not practical for everyone because our usage varies. Your usage may not be practical for someone who is heavily dependent on his mobile device and who might easily burn through his battery in just one day. You going to tell this guy to manage his battery and keep it at 80% I don't think so. Please don't say power bank sometimes we even forget to charge our power bank or left it at home or something.
I probably think you still don't get the point...

julienvd93
Rising Star II
No point in arguing with a bully..

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
I am not even being a bully but it is just so annoying when you have battery nerds who just can't accept reality and what it is.

This is the truth about batteries and this should answer a lot of questions if it is ok to charge your battery to a 100%

julienvd93
Rising Star II
Calling people names is bullying. There is no need for that and should not be allowed on this forum.
You have different opinion and that is okay with me. But calling people names is childish and unnecessary.
The 8 year study you are referring to is being maintained and gets regular updates. Last update of that study was mid 2019.
Here is another recent overview: https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/do_and_dont_battery_table
It was lastupdated 2018-04-10
The difference between your research and my research is that yours is based on YouTube videos and mine on research papers from trust worthy sources.
Please stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that he should keep his phone charged at 80% nor that he should carry a powerbank with him or even that it is not okay to charge a phone up to 100%. I'm done with you and this argument.