This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired headphones causing radio tuning/theremin effect

mcrr08
Star III
I have two zenfone6's and while plugging in some higher end Sony headphones I'm getting audio in the headset that would sound like tuning a radio or a theremin instrument if you're familiar. This happens with audio playing or not. If you rotate the jack it can help, but touching the cable can also amplify it. These headphones have never shown this behavior before on any other hardware. Just wondering if there's a simple reason or if others have noticed this.
2 REPLIES 2

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I
mcrr08

I have two zenfone6's and while plugging in some higher end Sony headphones I'm getting audio in the headset that would sound like tuning a radio or a theremin instrument if you're familiar. This happens with audio playing or not. If you rotate the jack it can help, but touching the cable can also amplify it. These headphones have never shown this behavior before on any other hardware. Just wondering if there's a simple reason or if others have noticed this.

Wired headphones causing radio tuning/theremin effect
Is the size of the audio jack non-standard? For example, the jacks that support play and pause buttons are usually about 1mm longer than normal, and do not interface correctly with all audio ports. What happens if you pull the headphone jack out slightly? I used to have a similar issue on one of my older computers.

mcrr08
Star III
I'll give that a try. This headset has two different cables one with those play pause functions and just standard audio. This was happening with standard audio cable.