This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PSA] Take caution - Tencent-branded Chinese models with "Global/International ROM"

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi all

We have come to notice there are resellers selling the so-called "Tencent ROG Phone II"-models for the Chinese market with "International ROM".

We would like to make clear that ASUS does not officially sell any Tencent-branded ROG Phone II with so called "International ROM" or "Global firmware".
We cannot guarantee the functionality of this combination , if you are facing any type of issues - please turn to your reseller where you bought this device - as this is is not a combination we are selling.

Please also take careful note that updates/FOTA functionality will be disabled since the ROM and the models dont match, some resellers note this in the fine-print.. some may not..

Extra info:
If you are seeing anything about a "Global ROM version" or "Tencent with Global/WW ROM" it would be a clear giveaway.
159 REPLIES 159

julienvd93
Rising Star II
chcksndrs420

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/37637#Comment_37637

When I said it's a joke how much times, I didn't mean people telling me to factory reset I meant how much times the phone got factory reset.

View post
From what I understand you are know on a stable version of android. Those other issues you mentioned before have nothing to do with the tencent model.

OPC
Zen Master II
julienvd93

Wow so many unhappy people. I really don't get why you guys are so unhappy.

I bought a tencent version. Changed fingerprint to WW and flashed a WW ROM. I can now manually download software updates and update without any issues. Anyone with access to a computer can do this it's not that difficult.

Search the XDA forums for a how to guide.

Thank you Asus for all your support, you guys made the best phone that is currently on the market ❤️

View post
I agree completely but the reality shows there are lot of people confused, inexperienced, had desire to buy Rog 2 and are now disappointed. Also what if you were a Chinese guy who bought the phone during trip somewhere else, or just a Chinese guy in roaming and cannot use phone because of lack of bands. Learning from this experience I would make one model only with all bands included. I would make it in 8/12 RAM and 128/512/1T storage, in 3 different price ranges. Would make those prices valid everywhere. Would provide all with fast charger. This would probably make the basic phone somewhat more expensive. But would completely eliminate demand for phones like Tencent outside of China. Each and every customer, no matter how experienced or not, would be satisfied. At the end of the day, that's what counts.

julienvd93
Rising Star II
OPC

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/37614#Comment_37614

I agree completely but the reality shows there are lot of people confused, inexperienced, had desire to buy Rog 2 and are now disappointed. Also what if you were a Chinese guy who bought the phone during trip somewhere else, or just a Chinese guy in roaming and cannot use phone because of lack of bands. Learning from this experience I would make one model only with all bands included. I would make it in 8/12 RAM and 128/512/1T storage, in 3 different price ranges. Would make those prices valid everywhere. Would provide all with fast charger. This would probably make the basic phone somewhat more expensive. But would completely eliminate demand for phones like Tencent outside of China. Each and every customer, no matter how experienced or not, would be satisfied. At the end of the day, that's what counts.

View post
In my opinion this is general knowledge when you buy a phone abroad or are planning to use a phone in multiple countries and is something that you always have to watch out for when buying a foreign phone.
It is probably one of the first things that will come up when you Google for "buying a Chinese phone".
I don't think this is an excuse for being ignorant and is information that was available from the start.
That being said I agree that it would be nice to have al bands available or as many as possible but when a phone is meant to be used in a specific market then it doesn't make a lot of sense for the manufacturer to include other bands.
I live in Europe and the phone has all the bands that I need and I made sure it had those bands before I bought it.

OPC
Zen Master II
julienvd93

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/37688#Comment_37688

In my opinion this is general knowledge when you buy a phone abroad or are planning to use a phone in multiple countries and is something that you always have to watch out for when buying a foreign phone.

It is probably one of the first things that will come up when you Google for "buying a Chinese phone".

I don't think this is an excuse for being ignorant and is information that was available from the start.

That being said I agree that it would be nice to have al bands available or as many as possible but when a phone is meant to be used in a specific market then it doesn't make a lot of sense for the manufacturer to include other bands.

I live in Europe and the phone has all the bands that I need and I made sure it had those bands before I bought it.

View post
Yes Julien, I agree and I have done the check myself and bought the international version because I need the band 20. But as you can see many people are just not checking. It's a plain fact. It's their own responsibility yes, but what can be done to help them? In the first place make a product or service proof of such misunderstandings. It's in the interest of every producer or service provider that customers are happy with a product. Happy New Year to all!

julienvd93
Rising Star II
OPC

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/37697#Comment_37697

Yes Julien, I agree and I have done the check myself and bought the international version because I need the band 20. But as you can see many people are just not checking. It's a plain fact. It's their own responsibility yes, but what can be done to help them? In the first place make a product or service proof of such misunderstandings. It's in the interest of every producer or service provider that customers are happy with a product. Happy New Year to all!

View post
Yes that is a fact but my problem is that people seem to think that it is Asus fault while in fact it is their own fault for not checking. You can't idiot proof everything.