This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PSA] Take caution - Tencent-branded Chinese models with "Global/International ROM"

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi all

We have come to notice there are resellers selling the so-called "Tencent ROG Phone II"-models for the Chinese market with "International ROM".

We would like to make clear that ASUS does not officially sell any Tencent-branded ROG Phone II with so called "International ROM" or "Global firmware".
We cannot guarantee the functionality of this combination , if you are facing any type of issues - please turn to your reseller where you bought this device - as this is is not a combination we are selling.

Please also take careful note that updates/FOTA functionality will be disabled since the ROM and the models dont match, some resellers note this in the fine-print.. some may not..

Extra info:
If you are seeing anything about a "Global ROM version" or "Tencent with Global/WW ROM" it would be a clear giveaway.
159 REPLIES 159

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
Tibbsy

Hi I live in the UK I bought my phone on ebay new sealed up in box with the ww rom. If there is no updates on the phone what's gonna stop people hacking it. This is my second asus phone. I can't shoot any video on the camera. I do feel I have a asus rog phone 2 tencent version but this is still down to Asus to update us and look after us. I don't understand if I was in China my phone would not receive updates. I love this phone I pay my xbox games directly on the phone it will be such a shame if Asus loses all us guys who have gone with the rog phone because I never payed them for the phone. Asus made and sold this phone to whoever I brought it off. Everything works perfect apart from the camera and updates. Your argument about Google is not available in China is a joke because when you switch phone on it says powered by android. are the Chinese Asus rog phones not running on android??? Please help us people out and sort the software out for your many customers who have spent over £500 pounds on the phone.

I would just like to say I did try to buy the rog phone in the UK on line from Asus but it had not been released in the UK. Yet there was 300 videos on utube with guys testing and using rog phone 2. I liked the look of the phone and I brought one. What do we do now my vendor will not give me a refund because he has done nothing wrong and phone is not broken

View post
Hey man, the problem is this wasn't Asus's fault because it was made known to people that the tencent edition is made only for China.
Unfortunately you have unethical sellers who probably run their business at home or at a small street shop with only a laptop. Anyone can open up the original packaging, tinker around with the phone put the phone back in the box and reseal it and sell it online again....and just put up false advertisement.
I am from Singapore and I almost fell victim to this so called scam...but I decided to wait for the official one even though I saw so many people on youtube reviewing the phone already...It was a long wait but it was worth it.
Lesson to learn from all this is, wait patiently and if the price is too good to be true! don't buy it!

chcksndrs420
Star II
Tibbsy

Hi I live in the UK I bought my phone on ebay new sealed up in box with the ww rom. If there is no updates on the phone what's gonna stop people hacking it. This is my second asus phone. I can't shoot any video on the camera. I do feel I have a asus rog phone 2 tencent version but this is still down to Asus to update us and look after us. I don't understand if I was in China my phone would not receive updates. I love this phone I pay my xbox games directly on the phone it will be such a shame if Asus loses all us guys who have gone with the rog phone because I never payed them for the phone. Asus made and sold this phone to whoever I brought it off. Everything works perfect apart from the camera and updates. Your argument about Google is not available in China is a joke because when you switch phone on it says powered by android. are the Chinese Asus rog phones not running on android??? Please help us people out and sort the software out for your many customers who have spent over £500 pounds on the phone.

I would just like to say I did try to buy the rog phone in the UK on line from Asus but it had not been released in the UK. Yet there was 300 videos on utube with guys testing and using rog phone 2. I liked the look of the phone and I brought one. What do we do now my vendor will not give me a refund because he has done nothing wrong and phone is not broken

View post
I can also say the same thing I'm from a small island in the Caribbean called St.Vincent and the Grenadines
I also received one but the firmware on it wasn't one that existed with what the company had put out, meaning the seller I bought this from flashed the phone and placed their own rom on it and resell it again.
I ended updated flashing and bricking the phone but I got it flash it again and it's working but I believe I'm gonna return the phone because who knows what's gonna happen in the future again with this, my advice return it and get something else or look for an official one.

chcksndrs420
Star II
Tibbsy

View post
Hey man I went and most likely still going through the same problem.
I bought the phone but the seller had a firmware what was not issued by the company so I couldn't receive the updates as well, I went through the process of flashing the phone but ended up bricking it but was able to flash it again and it's working with exception of the slow motion camera that darkness and flicker I would recommend you returning it and looking for an official version .

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
chcksndrs420

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/37490#Comment_37490

Hey man I went and most likely still going through the same problem.

I bought the phone but the seller had a firmware what was not issued by the company so I couldn't receive the updates as well, I went through the process of flashing the phone but ended up bricking it but was able to flash it again and it's working with exception of the slow motion camera that darkness and flicker I would recommend you returning it and looking for an official version .

View post
if you like this phone, just return it and get a official one.

chcksndrs420
Star II
jetjosh92

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/37505#Comment_37505

if you like this phone, just return it and get a official one.

View post
Money would be the problem I got it cheap because a friend was coming back home so I bought it and send it to him
so I didn't have to spend too much money but when he goes back overseas he's not coming back for whenever so If I do order this phone again I'm gonna have to pay shit ton of money because of customs and I can't afford that right now