This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this battery duration good?

gonzaaa_92
Rising Star II
Hey everyone. I wanted to share this picture to know if the battery is working properly. I have this duration of battery:
GTYTAMO13NGJ.jpg
IAC7SZ6FY3KE.jpg
4hrs -> 37% of battery. Is that fine?
Thanks!
34 REPLIES 34

gonzaaa_92
Rising Star II
griswaalt

I have a one week old Ultimate Edition phone and the battery life has been extremely disappointing to say the least. I have no clue how others on this forum are getting 'screen on times' of 9, 10, 11 hours and the like when I am struggling to get even 7 to 8 hours of screen on time with what I can only term as a reasonable usage.

I have tried setting the screen to both 90Hz and 120Hz but there is hardly any difference from a battery life point of view. In both cases, my best 'SOT' would be just over 7 hours if I am willing to let my battery go down till in single digit percentage. I use X-mode only for games like PUBG, CODM, Asphalt and I use auto brightness throughout. I have a decent mobile coverage at both work and home. I do see that Google Play Services eats a lot of battery and I am wondering what is it with my phone that makes this app consume so much power (and what is it with others that post their battery usage screenshots that this app does not figure in the list for them). I am already using the beta for Google Play Services and have tried clearing its cache and storage but there's no use.

Any ideas or tips to ensure that I get the most value out of this battery is appreciated. I have bought this phone with a view to use it for the next 4 years atleast and if the battery is not going to be what I thought it would then surely this investment would be a mistake.

Screenshot attached showing yesterday's (10% left) and today's (31% left) use.

DNNPIQFJM4HI.jpg

KVXGPZB20XZ9.jpg

View post
I can give you several tips to improve your battery life:
Turn off auto-brightness. That function works thanks to a sensor that senses light on your sorrounding and with that information adjusts the brightness accordingly. That sensor is constantly capturing the information of light around you and consumes battery. In addition to that, it's very imprecise; there are times when you could have the brightness set to lower values and still be able to use the phone comfortably and save more battery at the same time.
Set all the apps that allow it (IG, Google Chrome, YouTube, SoundCloud, etc) to Dark Mode. There are tests that prove it helps with battery consumption.
Use WiFi as much as you can. Try to use WiFi whenever you can. And if you are, turn off your data. On the contrary, whenever you're on the street or somewhere you know you won't pick up a stable WiFi network, turn the WiFi off.
Do not keep the bluetooth on if you're not using any bluetooth device.
Turn off the location whenever you're not using it.
Why use 4G when 3G is enough? Where I live (Argentina) 3G works really well and will allow me to even watch YouTube videos at 1080p with no problems. And hey, 3G consumes way less battery than 4G.
The phone is really fast and can load apps in less than a second. Why would you keep them in RAM? Clear the apps from the app switcher every time you can.
Avoid using the X Mode. Yes, avoid it. I tested it several times and that mode is hungry as hell. I don't think you really need it.
Check which apps you need/want to receive notifications from and deactivate the notifications for the rest. For example, on my particular case, I'm not interested to receive notifications from YouTube, like when someone thumbs up or responds a comment of mine or when one of the YouTubers I follow uploads a new video. I get those notifications every day! So those notifications in addition to being annoying, consumes the battery. Do yourself a big favor and turn them off.
If you do that, you should have no problems reaching the 9hrs goal. Thats what I do and have no problems. If all of that doesn't help enough, decrease the refresh rate to 90hrz or 60hrz. Hope that helped!

anthonws
Star II
"The phone is really fast and can load apps in less than a second. Why would you keep them in RAM? Clear the apps from the app switcher every time you can."
^ This is not a good advice.
Do you have proof that the I/O impact of storage to RAM and CPU consumption to process all bits from scratch, consumes less power than maintain an app in RAM?!?
RAM modules are always being powered! If it does something, it actually saves CPU cycles and reduces I/O operations, which in turn saves power.
My 2 cents,
anthonws.

gonzaaa_92
Rising Star II
anthonws

"The phone is really fast and can load apps in less than a second. Why would you keep them in RAM? Clear the apps from the app switcher every time you can."

^ This is not a good advice.

Do you have proof that the I/O impact of storage to RAM and CPU consumption to process all bits from scratch, consumes less power than maintain an app in RAM?!?

RAM modules are always being powered! If it does something, it actually saves CPU cycles and reduces I/O operations, which in turn saves power.

My 2 cents,

anthonws.

View post
That depends if the app is using data while on the BG (in RAM). If it doesn then it's constantly consuming battery (since it's constantly dealing with WiFi/3G/4G). But your point in a more general sense is more correct than mine. Thanks!

OPC
Zen Master II
griswaalt

I have a one week old Ultimate Edition phone and the battery life has been extremely disappointing to say the least. I have no clue how others on this forum are getting 'screen on times' of 9, 10, 11 hours and the like when I am struggling to get even 7 to 8 hours of screen on time with what I can only term as a reasonable usage.

I have tried setting the screen to both 90Hz and 120Hz but there is hardly any difference from a battery life point of view. In both cases, my best 'SOT' would be just over 7 hours if I am willing to let my battery go down till in single digit percentage. I use X-mode only for games like PUBG, CODM, Asphalt and I use auto brightness throughout. I have a decent mobile coverage at both work and home. I do see that Google Play Services eats a lot of battery and I am wondering what is it with my phone that makes this app consume so much power (and what is it with others that post their battery usage screenshots that this app does not figure in the list for them). I am already using the beta for Google Play Services and have tried clearing its cache and storage but there's no use.

Any ideas or tips to ensure that I get the most value out of this battery is appreciated. I have bought this phone with a view to use it for the next 4 years atleast and if the battery is not going to be what I thought it would then surely this investment would be a mistake.

Screenshot attached showing yesterday's (10% left) and today's (31% left) use.

DNNPIQFJM4HI.jpg

KVXGPZB20XZ9.jpg

View post
Google play services is draining your battery. In my case it uses only 1 or 2% of the battery.

gonzaaa_92
Rising Star II
OPC

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/35540#Comment_35540

Google play services is draining your battery. In my case it uses only 1 or 2% of the battery.

View post
What are the Google Play services exactly?