This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 and VPN (bug)

S4t
Star III
I use a VPN and since the upgrade to Android 10 some things stopped working as expected. When the VPN is on:
Play Store doesn't automatically install updates, I need to manually click the update button;
My podcast app doesn't automatically check or download new episodes;
It seems that apps see the VPN as a metered connection (even if we're connected to WiFi). The result is limited network functionality.
I believe this was a problem back on Android 8, but it was fixed by Google with Android 9. I don't know if this time it's another Android bug or if it only affects Asus own Android fork.
To reproduce, connect to a traditional VPN (open vpn, wireguard, etc) and use any app that has its functionality limited by metered connections. A free VPN that can be used for testing is Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 app.
If someone from Asus team reads this, please inform your software team of this problem.
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Ok, I'll forward to our devs and check if they can duplicate. Thanks!

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Our devs can duplicate your issue but not only on our phone but the competitors too. I believe it's an Android (Google) issue.
I don't know how to fix your podcast but what you can do in google play store settings is to set auto-update via "over any network"

S4t
Star III
Let's hope Google fixes this in a future Android update then.
Thanks for your help, Anders.

Jeb
Rising Star II
S4t

I use a VPN and since the upgrade to Android 10 some things stopped working as expected. When the VPN is on:

• Play Store doesn't automatically install updates, I need to manually click the update button;
  • My podcast app doesn't automatically check or download new episodes;

It seems that apps see the VPN as a metered connection (even if we're connected to WiFi). The result is limited network functionality.

I believe this was a problem back on Android 8, but it was fixed by Google with Android 9. I don't know if this time it's another Android bug or if it only affects Asus own Android fork.

To reproduce, connect to a traditional VPN (open vpn, wireguard, etc) and use any app that has its functionality limited by metered connections. A free VPN that can be used for testing is Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 app.

If someone from Asus team reads this, please inform your software team of this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Android 10 and VPN (bug)
Hey @S4t ! Good news! Asus just released a new FOTA (Firmware Over The Air) Update addressing your VPN issues late last night and has begun rolling out to devices.
If you do not wish to wait for the update, you can download and force it manually using the download at https://www.asus.com/us/Phone/ZenFone-6-ZS630KL/HelpDesk_BIOS/