This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason why some of us do not have VoLTE on ROG Phone ll

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
I always thought that as long as a device is able to support 4G/VoLTE it will work with any Carrier/Service provider. Wrong!
So I reached out to my Carrier/Service provider and they confirmed that the ROG Phone ll isn't on their list of supported devices and I will not be able to enjoy the benefits of VoLte even if my mobile plan includes that service and the ROG phone is able to support it.
I had the wrong impression that Asus was the one not enabling the VoLTE option in our devices until I did some research. So apparently Asus has to reach out to the carrier and the carrier also has to agree to support the device. Having VoLTE in your mobile plan and a phone that supports VoLTE does not complete the puzzle.
So here are my few guesses.
Asus did reach out to many carriers but they probably did not get the green light and it may be due to the fact that the ROG Phone may not be that popular compared to the mainstream brands and it was designed to be for a niche market ?
Or maybe the Carriers are still in the process of getting the ROG Phone ll supported ?
I honestly have no idea at all. So let's just hope the Carriers we have stuck with for so long are going to make some changes to that. For myself I am probably going try my luck at getting the staff at Singtel (Carrier/Service provider) to try and see if they can try to activate it for me some how.
Link below is just for reference, maybe you guys might want to try giving your Carrier a call and see if they can do anything at all.
If you have any thoughts of your own, feel free to share it below!
Cheers! ?
Singtel 4G+
18 REPLIES 18

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
jetjosh92

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/34033#Comment_34033

Thanks for pointing all that out but it is quite a waste don't you think ? Especially for me since I am living in a country where the network operator is not even doing anything at all to block unsupported devices.

In fact I spoke to them just the other day and they were confident about the phone itself..plus if VoLTE does not work. We still have 3G here which is not going to be shut down any time soon. The phone will automatically switch to 3G if VoLTE is not available..and most of the time it is not the device that fails but the carrier, when the service is down on their end.

Just wish your higher ups will give you and your team a green light to kinda enable it...for people in my kind of situation..

View post
This might be the case in your country but we use the same firmware everywhere and in some countries, with some operators (important ones) it could become a problem.
If there's no VoLTE, then it will go down to 3G. This is true, but if there is VoLTE and it's not working (because it hasn't been tested), then it will continue trying to make the call via VoLTE.

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/34053#Comment_34053

This might be the case in your country but we use the same firmware everywhere and in some countries, with some operators (important ones) it could become a problem.

If there's no VoLTE, then it will go down to 3G. This is true, but if there is VoLTE and it's not working (because it hasn't been tested), then it will continue trying to make the call via VoLTE.

View post
Right thanks for pointing all of that out and I understand it's complexity. But I guess I will only know if it is able to work if I have the option to turn it on and let the guys from my local carrier do the rest. They were quite willing to help really but I just don't have the option to turn it on, so they could not do anything for me but drop the case.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
jetjosh92

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/34411#Comment_34411

Right thanks for pointing all of that out and I understand it's complexity. But I guess I will only know if it is able to work if I have the option to turn it on and let the guys from my local carrier do the rest. They were quite willing to help really but I just don't have the option to turn it on, so they could not do anything for me but drop the case.

View post
That needs to be done from ASUS side and the reasons for this have been explained above. I understand that you want to find some way and help us but there's nothing you can do. I don't remember why this trick in India works, where you put the SIM in a VoLTE approved phone and then back in ASUS Phone to make it accept VoLTE. I believe it might have been that one carrier bought another one and that carrier had approved ASUS phones for VoLTE and vice versa. But the bottom line is that you can't do this anywhere else.

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/34436#Comment_34436

That needs to be done from ASUS side and the reasons for this have been explained above. I understand that you want to find some way and help us but there's nothing you can do. I don't remember why this trick in India works, where you put the SIM in a VoLTE approved phone and then back in ASUS Phone to make it accept VoLTE. I believe it might have been that one carrier bought another one and that carrier had approved ASUS phones for VoLTE and vice versa. But the bottom line is that you can't do this anywhere else.

View post
I don't think that trick works in the first place. I think the carrier probably already approved the device from the start. My mobile plan has 4G VoLTE with a sim card that is VoLTE enabled.
If that trick works...then it should have worked when I put my sim card in from day one. My local carrier probably needs ROG Phone 2's specifications but they probably don't have it at all.
Yes I am trying to help you guys out. I am not here to bash ASUS, especially the mods for all the things that are not working on the phone but instead trying to help to get it to work.
You guys could put this in an update and if it isn't working then you guys could just pull the plug on it again but I still trust your guys and your hardware.

blackout2k
Star II
I just brought a ROG phone 2. 11/4/19 i have t-mobile. i hope later on Volte will be available for all of USA people that went out and spend good money on a great phone.