This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking SD Card bootloop

simondedman
Star III
My Zenfone 6 has been working great. I have a 400gb SD card in it with 350gb of music and that's been working fine also.
I just decided to restart the phone, and it got into a kind of bootloop:
Phone starts, gets to unlock location, can unlock or leave locked, if locked shows notification
"Checking SanDisk SD Card...
Reviewing current content"
If I unlock it says
"Phone is starting..." with a spinning progress bar.
And after a few minutes, it reboots.
I can boot with the SD card out then put it in while the phone is on but after a few minutes I guess the phone does a check of the SD card and then it reboots.
It seems this is a software bug with how the system deals with SD card content, potentially it has some timeout which causes the reboot if it takes too long?
Please advise if I can generate logs so y'all can fix this because the SD card slot was one of my top 2 purchase reasons for this phone.
Thanks.

Oh p.s. if one clicks "remember me" on the login screen for this forum, logins don't work. Please fix this bug (or remove remember me)
21 REPLIES 21

simondedman
Star III
Cheers again for your input.
The SD card had tons of folders autocreated from apps either by this phone or the last, so I cleaned out everything except /Android/data/com.synology.dscloud/files/Music/ which is the music sync folder. Now back to "phone is starting" with SD card icon, aaaaand reboot loop again.
So it defo seems like an SD card scanning time issue.
Asus employees, now would be a great time to chime in.

simondedman
Star III
@Asus TSD team: link to my other issue, Bluetooth dropping out: https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/5386001?hl=en

LP_ASUS
Community Legend I

simondedman

@Asus TSD team: link to my other issue, Bluetooth dropping out: https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/5386001?hl=en

View post
I'd be happy to log your phone and see what's going on with Android Auto. I have seen complaints about Bluetooth only connections, and the hardwired version of Android Auto.
@_jis_ is more experienced than me with Android, I was letting him take the lead on this one. 😉 I don't have any good answers on the SD card issue, but we can log that one too. I'll send you a PM in a bit with instructions.

_jis_
Zen Master III
@simondedman
The SD card had tons of folders autocreated from apps either by this phone or the last, so I cleaned out everything except /Android/data/com.synology.dscloud/files/Music/ which is the music sync folder. Now back to "phone is starting" with SD card icon, aaaaand reboot loop again.
Please do fsck again, I don't believe you pushed the number of directories by such a cleaning below 65536.
Eventually you can disable whole /Android/data/com.synology.dscloud/files/Music/ folder from media scanning by creating a blank file named ".nomedia" if your player doesn't rely on Android Media Scanner and support the ability to ignore ".nomedia" files.

simondedman
Star III
@LP_ASUS thanks for the PM, reproduced here to keep all the intel in one place:

*Please be advised, this will log everything on your phone while the app is running. If you are not comfortable with providing us that information, please do not install the logging tool.*
After installation, reproduce the issue.
After that, open up the logtool app and click "Capture Log to MTP"
This might take a few minutes. You should see a dialog box where you can type some feedback, then the device will reboot.
The log will be saved to the /save_log/ folder, with its own subfolder named after the date of the log.
You can .zip the folder and send it to me here, or use your preferred method of sharing files. (Google drive, etc)
Thanks for your help debugging this issue!"

So the error takes place on my commute which is the only time I drive a sustained amount of time, during which time it's not easy for me to interact with the phone other than one or two clicks. The drive is about 1.5 hours, do you think that this will be a problem in terms of log file size? Presuming it timestamps events, I'll try to remember when the dropouts occur so I/you/anyone has an easier time of narrowing in on the problem. Though there shouldn't be too many actions occurring since, as I say, I won't be interacting with the phone.
Cheers!