This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU THROTTLING / LAG ON GAMES

RAIDEN_
Rising Star II
Hello , so with the latest global .44 update i have been facing sudden lags on games which seemed very awkward at first than i used this app , which i always used to check thermal behaviour and is very dissatisfied with the experience.. The same app test "Cpu throttling test" has been done on my friends one plus 7t pro and on that the test doesn't gives such results , also the game performance is consistent compared to Rog 2.
App link -https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=skynet.cputhrottlingtest
Please reply why is this ? Isn't Asus commited Rog 2 wouldn't throttle and would sustain the performance as compared to any other device ..
846V5Z084WLU.jpg

21 REPLIES 21

Mvarun
Rising Star I
OPC

Ok I will leave at 60Hz and see if it will affect battery life.

View post
Yup. I've set all my games that don't support high framerate to 60hz to save a bit of power

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
CPU Throttling Test will throttle (by design) when it reaches a certain temp and this is to maintain a more comfortable gaming experience. It will only throttle the CPU and most game rely on the GPU. This way we can keep the fps steady while maintaining the temperature.
When you enter X mode Ultimate, it increases the temperature limitation and this is why Mvarun achieved much better results.
If you're worried that your game is throttling, then simply increase the temperature control for that game in Armoury Crate. Since we let the heat out of the phone, it will feel like it's hotter than a normal phone but it's actually cooler on the inside which will result in more stable performance over time.
But I do recommend using AeroActive Cooler 2 as it will cool the backside surface and your hands.

Mvarun
Rising Star I
Anders_ASUS

CPU Throttling Test will throttle (by design) when it reaches a certain temp and this is to maintain a more comfortable gaming experience. It will only throttle the CPU and most game rely on the GPU. This way we can keep the fps steady while maintaining the temperature.

When you enter X mode Ultimate, it increases the temperature limitation and this is why Mvarun achieved much better results.

If you're worried that your game is throttling, then simply increase the temperature control for that game in Armoury Crate. Since we let the heat out of the phone, it will feel like it's hotter than a normal phone but it's actually cooler on the inside which will result in more stable performance over time.

But I do recommend using AeroActive Cooler 2 as it will cool the backside surface and your hands.

View post
Oh wow turning up X mode to max makes the temprature limit higher? Huh. Also does X mode boost only cpu or does it boost both cpu and gpu?

OPC
Zen Master II
Always refering to Asphalt 9, changing the temperature settings in X mode from default to ultimate increases the max temperature I have achieve from 45 to 46 degrees C. So 1 degree C warmer. The game is not lagging either way for hours. The CPU is barely engaged, but GPU is running full power all the time. The more important thing is that the Aeroactive Cooler keeps the temperature constant at 41 degree C! So I don't know about other games, but Asphalt 9 on Rog 2 rocks. Pity it doesn't support 120 Hz yet.

Mvarun
Rising Star I
OPC

Always refering to Asphalt 9, changing the temperature settings in X mode from default to ultimate increases the max temperature I have achieve from 45 to 46 degrees C. So 1 degree C warmer. The game is not lagging either way for hours. The CPU is barely engaged, but GPU is running full power all the time. The more important thing is that the Aeroactive Cooler keeps the temperature constant at 41 degree C! So I don't know about other games, but Asphalt 9 on Rog 2 rocks. Pity it doesn't support 120 Hz yet.

View post
I don't think it's possible to reach 120 or even 90fps on ashpalt 9. Even on the performance settings it can't hold a stable 60