This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking SD Card bootloop

simondedman
Star III
My Zenfone 6 has been working great. I have a 400gb SD card in it with 350gb of music and that's been working fine also.
I just decided to restart the phone, and it got into a kind of bootloop:
Phone starts, gets to unlock location, can unlock or leave locked, if locked shows notification
"Checking SanDisk SD Card...
Reviewing current content"
If I unlock it says
"Phone is starting..." with a spinning progress bar.
And after a few minutes, it reboots.
I can boot with the SD card out then put it in while the phone is on but after a few minutes I guess the phone does a check of the SD card and then it reboots.
It seems this is a software bug with how the system deals with SD card content, potentially it has some timeout which causes the reboot if it takes too long?
Please advise if I can generate logs so y'all can fix this because the SD card slot was one of my top 2 purchase reasons for this phone.
Thanks.

Oh p.s. if one clicks "remember me" on the login screen for this forum, logins don't work. Please fix this bug (or remove remember me)
21 REPLIES 21

simondedman
Star III
Other experiment: start phone with 2gb SD card, mostly blank, inserted. Result: works fine, silent notification after bootup is
"Settings
SD card
For transferring photos and media
Total space: 2.04gb
EXPLORE EJECT"
Phone seems to work fine, OS has populated SD card with the system folders it wants.
Increasingly supports my conclusion that the large volume of files to scan is the cause of the problem.
Keen to see if someone from ASUS (or otherwise) can verify this, or give me tips for how to generate log files to help confirm this diagnosis so folks can get working on a firmware fix asap.
Cheers

simondedman
Star III
Oh FWIW, not rooted, a week old max, firmware WW_17.1810.1910.73

_jis_
Zen Master III
Totally 84823 directories and 63187 files.
Just curious, why do you have so much directories on your card? More than files...

simondedman
Star III
Uh, yeah, good question. I have no idea. Folder structure is
Music/First Letter/Artist/Album
e.g.
Music/A/Apollo 400/Electro Glide In Blue/
So I'm not sure why there would be more folders than files, I'll have a look.

_jis_
Zen Master III
Totally 84823 directories and 63187 files.
Increasingly supports my conclusion that the large volume of files to scan is the cause of the problem.
I think the same.
I have two ideas.
Move some of the files from the card to the PC to reduce the number of directories below 65536 and then retest.
Read the thread below to see which application takes up the most space. Maybe it will be the one that works with your songs.
I'm getting a "File System Limit" message on my phone. Anyone else experiencing this? - Android For...