This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today i took some shots at night and i confirm. The result is a disaster now in Android 10

doublem101
Star III
I've been reading all the posts about the bad photo quality on Android 10 but honestly i didn't had the chance to test it in detail before.
However today, i had a spare time and it only took a couple minutes to see what everyone are talking about.
I already had taken some indoor photos and i noticed the high noise in darker areas but i went outside and i couldn't believe on what i was looking at. Slightly blured photos (like a shaken photo) and no detail at all, it looked like a watercolour painting. On some photos, darker areas were pinkish, something that i complained before in Pro mode on long exposures but never noticed it in any other mode.
However, i don't know if it's related or not but the few Gcam versions that works, aren't much better neither. Still a little better than stock app but really really worse than before. I'm not sure if they aren't already optimized or somehow related with the stock app bad quality. I don't know how Gcam works but what if the main issue isn't the stock APP itself but something behind it that makes Gcam works so bad also?
Sorry Asus, but i can't accept this quality from €500 device. One of the things that made me buy this phone was his night photo quality and now it takes worse photos than my old device?
I know you are looking at the problem already but i become frightened when i read that the differences you found aren't considerable. They are. If you didn't tested yet at night, outside, please do it. Theres were i found the major differences, not indoor.
I don't a have photo took in Android 9 under the same circunstances in this same places but please look at this photo. This isn't acceptable at all.
QUJHAN31QHLI.jpg

70 REPLIES 70

_jis_
Zen Master III
Regarding the difference between handled mode and tripod mode, if that's normal, i confess i'm a bit dissapointed. I know tripod mode should give better results but we are talking about a massive difference which can be seen on the examples i provided earlier. I'm not talking about the "lightness" but the details. All of them are gone. It seems the final result is a really bad watercolor painting.
ZF6 camera does not have optical stabilization, but tripod eliminates this problem completely, hence I recommended one in my previous post, I really have a very good experience with it and the night photos are then completely about something else.
In addition, the Asus camera app recognizes that the phone is stationary in a tripod and adjusts the subsequent image processing accordingly. This makes the difference from hand-held photos even more apparent.
Regarding the difference between handled mode and tripod mode, if that's normal, i confess i'm a bit dissapointed.
So actually the opposite is true Asus camera app is able to make the most of a tripod as opposed to other apps. I like this ability so much.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
doublem101

@CH_ASUS i had a quick look at the photos and at the first glance (i will check in more detail later), it seems theres not much difference in Night Mode but look at Auto Mode, something is very noticiable between P and Q. Look at the crane. In Q it has a lot less details on all the 3 photos, it seems it almost vanished. If the algorithm hasn't changed at all, how that difference can be explained? Something doesn't match.

Regarding the difference between handled mode and tripod mode, if that's normal, i confess i'm a bit disappointed. I know tripod mode should give better results but we are talking about a massive difference which can be seen on the examples i provided earlier. I'm not talking about the "lightness" but the details. All of them are gone. It seems the final result is a really bad watercolor painting. If theres no way to improve it, i hope at least we can use Gcam in a near future to have a decent handled mode...

Best

View post
Might be, might be in device variation depending on how I held the phones at that time since I actually just snapped three pictures each at once, without "repositioning" the hand/phone in between.

Our camera team still maintains no changes to algorithms for image quality were adjusted.

There were ofc some changes made over time, like the pink tint that occurred in the later P-builds was corrected in Q.
Now, you may ofc say this "must have" introduced these side-effects - and I also did ask specifically this , but the answer is that no, they do not believe any such side effects would occur.

We have the devices on hand, which obviously I understand most of you do not. My point is it can be "same device" variation more than anything else. ,we'll just take more shots and share with you here and you can judge for yourselves.

Jeb
Rising Star II
K5NK5LY1DCCL.jpg
Camera quality may look "okay" from a small thumbnail, but please open the full-sized preview. You'll quickly notice blurred lines, poor color representation, and poor white balance.
Please note the wall in the background is supposed to be white.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
Touch to focus - on the bush ~center of each image.
Lower and raise phone after each photo. 3 photos per phone.

Android P Auto
KFLRQPSJGTU6.jpg
I0G83G8AJGIV.jpg
DKRBWGCU0XQ2.jpg

Android Q Auto
111LIJL7LOXI.jpg
QDIGKK2M5C4B.jpg
ZOLEPV115I6H.jpg

_jis_
Zen Master III
The lawn under the four trunks in the upper right corner has a little detail in the A9 here and there, but in the pictures taken on the A10, it is completely washed out due to more aggressive noise removal. But this is something that has already been confirmed by @Anders_ASUS that the A10 has more aggressive noise removal and that it will be discussed with developers as I remember from other thread.
https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/30635/#Comment_30635