This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today i took some shots at night and i confirm. The result is a disaster now in Android 10

doublem101
Star III
I've been reading all the posts about the bad photo quality on Android 10 but honestly i didn't had the chance to test it in detail before.
However today, i had a spare time and it only took a couple minutes to see what everyone are talking about.
I already had taken some indoor photos and i noticed the high noise in darker areas but i went outside and i couldn't believe on what i was looking at. Slightly blured photos (like a shaken photo) and no detail at all, it looked like a watercolour painting. On some photos, darker areas were pinkish, something that i complained before in Pro mode on long exposures but never noticed it in any other mode.
However, i don't know if it's related or not but the few Gcam versions that works, aren't much better neither. Still a little better than stock app but really really worse than before. I'm not sure if they aren't already optimized or somehow related with the stock app bad quality. I don't know how Gcam works but what if the main issue isn't the stock APP itself but something behind it that makes Gcam works so bad also?
Sorry Asus, but i can't accept this quality from €500 device. One of the things that made me buy this phone was his night photo quality and now it takes worse photos than my old device?
I know you are looking at the problem already but i become frightened when i read that the differences you found aren't considerable. They are. If you didn't tested yet at night, outside, please do it. Theres were i found the major differences, not indoor.
I don't a have photo took in Android 9 under the same circunstances in this same places but please look at this photo. This isn't acceptable at all.
QUJHAN31QHLI.jpg

70 REPLIES 70

Jeb
Rising Star II
I'm having the same problem. Please fix!
I see the Zenfone 6 default camera app is in the Play Store as the Asus PixelMaster camera app. Perhaps a patch can be pushed out through the Play Store?

Jeb
Rising Star II
_jis_

I have a very good experience with this handy mini tripod, which I bought on sale. For both night photos and other uses. Look at product images.

https://www.czc.cz/vanguard-stolni-stativ-tripod-vesta-tt1-bila-perlet/257999/produkt

View post
I'm not going to buy a tripod for my phone. That defeats the purpose of having a good camera on my phone.
If I want to use a tripod, I might as well buy a decent point-and-shoot to go with it.

Jeb
Rising Star II
I think the camera performance issue is linked to overall general performance problems of Android 10 on the Asus Zenfone 6, as the Zenfone 6 heavily relies on software for the camera due to lack of OIS.
https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/13123/performance-issues-in-asus-zenfone-6-after-upgrading-to...

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
We've had some calls and syncing with our camera team.

From P to Q, we have not changed the algortihms or any other image related tuning for night mode or auto low light.
They should / do perform equally. In earlier P (.191 for example) , there was this pink hue in longer exposures (Night Mode, Pro Mode long exposure) - this was addressed in Q.

Your experience may tell you differently but from our intentions - there are no changes. And really, there is no reason for the camera team to make this up.

We've done some testing ourselves, we will do more also, but here are some you may consider. These are all done in hand-held - and three photos taken each time - to show more of an average. Variations will exist even between shots for same phone/firmware.
Tripod will be sharper than hand-held.

Android P , (.191) AUTO
DTI6RN01KUZB.jpg
N26JARIWQ1TA.jpg
9AKDFB4GGC1O.jpg

Android P (.191) Night Mode

XNPVRGPHLUP1.jpg
QYVDI57GUCLO.jpg
GG1J2AJS60OT.jpg

Android Q Auto
ZZD5IYYK23E5.jpg
F0FZ7LXG0GKO.jpg
308LIZY8A03R.jpg

Android Q Night Mode
0MXPTPCC3CCR.jpg
YM8LDHFZJGFW.jpg
Q6OU66UZDM4Z.jpg

doublem101
Star III
@CH_ASUS i had a quick look at the photos and at the first glance (i will check in more detail later), it seems theres not much difference in Night Mode but look at Auto Mode, something is very noticiable between P and Q. Look at the crane. In Q it has a lot less details on all the 3 photos, it seems it almost vanished. If the algorithm hasn't changed at all, how that difference can be explained? Something doesn't match.
Regarding the difference between handled mode and tripod mode, if that's normal, i confess i'm a bit disappointed. I know tripod mode should give better results but we are talking about a massive difference which can be seen on the examples i provided earlier. I'm not talking about the "lightness" but the details. All of them are gone. It seems the final result is a really bad watercolor painting. If theres no way to improve it, i hope at least we can use Gcam in a near future to have a decent handled mode...
Best