cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Calling Screen [Annoy Screen]

sixth_pr1m3
Rising Star II
This app is has more bugs than features. Bugs:
- Heads-up notification doesn't work(even if I enable it)
- Calling screen won't let me to go back to any other app while the phone is ringing.
- Display turns on automatically while on call even if I press power button to turn it off (option to turn off the proximity sensor doesn't work). To make it worse, the proximity sensor on this phone is not in the center.
58 REPLIES 58

_jis_
Zen Master III
Either way, the key is still that we are at least discussing this internally and hopefully it would lead to a re-think of the logics in place.
Thank you very much.
One additional remark: Name of this thread is Asus Calling Screen [Annoy Screen], which might give the impression that this applies only to Asus Dialer, but it is not true. This is a system level issue and affects any installed dialer. I use the Google Phone dialer myself as on my previous phones and once again encounter this behavior, when the screen keeps on illuminating during a call, even though I turned it off with the power button, as I used to from all my previous phones.
I have solved this ZF6 issue myself by using a bluetooth headset through which I handle calls, so I do not have to deal with any screen lighting and ignoring power button state at all, but I would like to see when the calls could be handled in the normal way with future updates 🙂
But when I criticize this Asus behaviour here, I have to say one thing: ZF6 is my best cell phone, which I have ever had, and this discussion forum is very helpful, with very very competent and knowledgeable moderators answering user questions. I really appreciate such support from the manufacturer, Thank you once more.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
If we park the issues that some experience with proximity sensor (not being as consistent as it could) - are there more usecases for when you'd want the screen to not turn on by proximity? (as to warrant the manual ovveride of power key).

I guess I can think of some, but more scenarios as a reference is always helpful. (Other than "simply because I want to" which I guess is a valid reason too in a way).

_jis_
Zen Master III
are there more usecases for when you'd want the screen to not turn on by proximity? (as to warrant the manual ovveride of power key).
I can't think of any situation other than during a phone call with my screen at my ear.
In my opinion, this scenario can never happen other than during a phone call or am I wrong?
I guess I can think of some
I wonder what situation you mean 🙂

Alaudeen
Rising Star I
Hi Team,
3 Main major issues are
1. Actually the functionality is not working properly. In call screen, when I press the power button and move away the phone from the ear sometimes the display is in off state until I press it again but sometimes display on, so it is so weird.
2. In call screen, if I slightly move the phone nearby ear within fraction of second the display turned on. This should not happen, we are suggesting to turn on the display after few seconds.
3. Also I have to move to the phone very close to my ear then only the promixity got enabled and display goes off.

These are the three major issue Im facing. By the way I have checked the promixity test and it is working fine.

CH_ASUS
Community Legend II
There are a few things at play here I believe;

1. Some users want Power Key to override proximity fully. If press power key for off = display should remain off for the entirety of the time, until next press.
This scenario, I am wondering what use cases there are. Except to "mitigate" any problems experienced by proximity sensor.

2. Proximity sensor does not work as stable as it could.
Here the solution is more difficult, the proximity sensor is not placed in the center, due to flip camera - and other space constraints. The sensor detection is not as high as our "previous" proximity sensors, also due to the physical limitations. The option would have been to skip a proximity sensor completely - as some other vendors have done.

As for issue 2 - we also encounter the bug that even if you turn it off in the Call Screen settings, it will correctly "not turn off the screen" when put against the ear. Meaning you need to press the power key to turn it off manually.
However it will still react and turn the screen on- when you move it away from the ear.
This should be addressed. Proximity off should mean proximity off (both ways).

As for issue 2 in regards to its working stability, as Alaudeen mention, perhaps a slight delay would also help resolve some stability issues as for it to not react so quickly.. but then you have the added side-effect that it wouldnt turn off the screen so quickly either.