Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Red tint issue on my Rog 2

ag_954gupta
Star III
IA5YE60FWGSK.jpg
E9IGMQ0U9GR1.jpg
I recently received the Rog 2 Indian unit, and while tinkering with the brightness I found something weird, that is if I set the brightness from 0-50% the dark grey Colors (like the ones used in google apps for dark mode, and the dark grey color used in the notification bar of the Rog if the system theme is set to dark)
The dark grey Colors at lower brightness (i.e from 0-50%) seems to be reddish.
Below I have attached two pics, take of the Rog 2.

The app used was inshorts (in its dark mode) the one with dark grey color is the real color of the app seen above 50% brightness and the other reddish tint is seen from 0% brightness.
P.s it's not the wallpaper or any specific app it happens with any wallpaper, any app which uses the dark grey color(like google photos, Goole play store dark etc.)  and it can be seen at lower brightness. The thing was very hard to click on camera but I still clicked it.

It's something similar to the S8 red tint and the pixel blue tint.
Yes, in the Rog telegram group I did find another person who has the same issue and hence it seems like a fault from Asus.
Also I tried reaching Asus but as usual they aren't replying.
216 REPLIES 216

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
I got one question...Why did Asus go with that tone of grey? Is it even supposed to be grey? Because if they are trying to match the color with their product line. Sorry to say that the tone of grey chosen isn't working very well with the nature of the Amoled screen...
If they are going to tweak the colors...please use a different tone of grey to reduce the red tint ?

OPC
Zen Master II
jetjosh92
Thank you for a very detailed explanation. Obviously my screen is fine as I don't have any major flaws you described. Just a slight redish hue in the notification panel which you can't even notice.
But it makes me wonder if OLED technology is so sensitive, why is everyone pushing it. Not that important in phone industry, but think about TV sets. All major producers are now pushing very expensive 50", 60" and bigger screens which cost a fortune. Based on all the info presented here, my 12 years old plasma is not leaving the house that soon.

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
OPC

jetjosh92

Thank you for a very detailed explanation. Obviously my screen is fine as I don't have any major flaws you described. Just a slight redish hue in the notification panel which you can't even notice.

But it makes me wonder if OLED technology is so sensitive, why is everyone pushing it. Not that important in phone industry, but think about TV sets. All major producers are now pushing very expensive 50", 60" and bigger screens which cost a fortune. Based on all the info presented here, my 12 years old plasma is not leaving the house that soon.

View post
Welcome
Every piece of technology has it's draw back. OLED is nice because of the colors and the reddish tint is just what we got to live with. Just check your devices at any store before you bring them home. Can't do that for a TV set.
Doubt the mods here can do much but I hope Asus will add more people to the assembly line to check the quality and consistency...and also hope they will be able to fix the color tone and color management in a software patch...
Just a piece of advice...try not to order your devices online and go to a physical Asus store...you can't go wrong with that.
I am from Singapore and I was given 7 days to test the device before I register my phone for warranty on Asus website. They would do a One to one exchange if anything is wrong within the 7 days.

OPC
Zen Master II
Good for you! In my country Croatia, stores selling Asus don't have it. I got it from my cousin in the USA. If there was the phone here, such customer service like yours we can only dream about. Even in the most developed countries in Europe like Germany this kind of service doesn't exist.

jetjosh92
Rising Star II
OPC

Good for you! In my country Croatia, stores selling Asus don't have it. I got it from my cousin in the USA. If there was the phone here, such customer service like yours we can only dream about. Even in the most developed countries in Europe like Germany this kind of service doesn't exist.

View post
Sorry to hear that..then I guess what you can do is take one day which is the day you got the phone to run through all the different tests and see if everything is working. But I guess even returning the device is a pain as well.